PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Improve the pick up

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

BobHarry76

Re: Improve the pick up

Post by BobHarry76 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:27 pm

Thanks Paul
This brings us to another area that I need to / want to know much more about. It may be better as a new thread?
What are the properties of a good overhead line Vs Spey line?
What should you looks for in a line to present dries as short to medium range Vs heavy nymphs Vs large Bass flies Vs heavy streamers? I understand a few of the basics, but it would be great to have some thoughts from guys who really know their onions!!

Is there a tackle section that deals with these sorts of threads? Or is there a thread from yesteryear that I can read through?

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:37 pm

Yep it’s certainly worth starting a new thread, Bob. I think we had a discussion about tapers last year. I’ll see if I can find it. But I never have any problems revisiting these topics. Every time we do we all learn something.

I’ll see if I can find the thread I was thinking of!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:43 pm

I can’t find anything specific but there is a insightful discussion here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2989

But let’s start a new topic! I might even draw some art :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:38 pm

New thread started. 👍🏻

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:39 pm

Great!

Back to your backcast. If you were to make your casting arc smaller, ie just a squeeze stop with the hand, this will tighten your loops. And I would start the forward cast fractionally earlier.

Really it’s an excellent improvement - well done! :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:45 pm

You've been practicing hard on that! That's a fab improvement, congratulations! :)

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:47 pm

Paul Arden wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:05 am
In childhood I always felt let down that there was only one obvious way to use my name. Robert is Bob in his username and Rob in his signature :p I remember at school the teacher always asked them “how would you like to be called?” They never asked me. “My name is Paul, but you can call me Sid”.
Hahaha! :laugh: Ah yes i noticed that after i posted it :laugh:
Nick M

Morsie

Post by Morsie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:47 am

Take a look at how far your backcast is falling out of the sky before you come forward. You can come forward much sooner than you think.

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:52 am

Hi Bob,

Have you tried casting with the entire rod turned upside down (180 degrees) so that the bottom of the reel is against your forearm/side of the wrist? It's a great little trick, obviously don't fish like that :cool: but it's a good way to get the feel.

The reason you are not getting a tight loop on your back cast is the fact that your rod tip has not traveled in a (theoretical) straight line. Long story short, your arc \/ is still too wide for your back cast, so in essence, your tip has traveled in a dome, causing an open loop. :cool: The back cast upwards flick is WAY shorter than you think. Try to visualize a 6" upwards flick

I think it was Mel Krieger who mentioned the stop feels like your hand is jerking. Try it at home, imagine making a lift and back cast and jerk your hand upwards when your arm is nearly vertical. Imagine throwing a vertical frisbee straight up into the sky. Lift slowly until your rod is almost vertical and make a very short 6" fast upwards flick from there. Still having issues? Try making a 4" upwards flick. Shock the rod in an upwards direction.

Accelerate only when your hand is near the vertical. :)

Hope this helps?

All the best

Nick

P.S.

Also using everything that Paul has mentioned :)
Nick M

Return to “Flycasting”