PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Gloss vs. Matte finish on rods.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Jearley
Answers: 0

Gloss vs. Matte finish on rods.

Post by Jearley »

I know this has come up in conversation on the board before but is there any downsides to a matte finish on rods? I’ve seen times before where the “flash” of a glossed rod would spook fish. I’ve read where they’ve used sandpaper to take the shine off the rod but does this effect casting much? I’ve improved my casting by lubing the blank before, but would sanding the blank cause excessive friction? Matte varnish any better? It’s something I’ve pondered recently.
piffilus

Re: Gloss vs. Matte finish on rods.

Post by piffilus »

I actually saw a matte 10' 4 weight Guideline rod. I believe it was aimed at chzech nymphing but I may be wrong. Interesting to see since I have only heard of HT rods having matte finish. But I don't know a lot of rods though.
steelehead

Post by steelehead »

I guess it depends on the waters you fish and the spookiness of the fish - or the fishing pressure they might associate with shiny sticks.
Peter Hayes recommends removable matte varnish in his IMHO great book "fly fishing outside the box", but I guess it might arouse the same never-ending discussion about fly line color and its effect on fish spooking...

Cheers, Christian
Jearley

Post by Jearley »

Ah yes, fly line color! I don’t what to think about that argument. I’ll have to look for Mr. Hayes book too. Sounds like a good read.

Also, I didn’t know that the Hot Torpedo rods can come in the matte option. Pretty cool.
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

Jearley wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:36 pmAlso, I didn’t know that the Hot Torpedo rods can come in the matte option. Pretty cool.
The Hot Torpedoes are made matte only.
Jearley

Post by Jearley »

Interesting. I’d love to hear Paul’s take on the pros and cons of both.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think it’s nuts to have shiny rods! I’d post more but my internet is cutting out. I’ll write a FP on it next week :)
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jearley

Post by Jearley »

Sweet. I’m looking forward to it.
steelehead

Post by steelehead »

Any suggestions on making your rod less shiny with minimal effort or without losing the manufacturers warranty?
Paul mentioned matte varnish or a metal brush - but maybe there are other ways to achieve the same effect.
And of course how to revert this in case of resale or rod repairs.

Cheers,
Christian
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Mud maybe. But it washes off. It’s a difficult one really. I think the Brillo pad is the best option. There must be some sort of matte spray that you can clean off if you have to send it back.

It’s a crazy situation. I’ve never understood it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”