PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Indoor practice to keep your skills up?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Indoor practice to keep your skills up?

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

I think it's vastly important that people keep their skills up, no matter what the activity is. I still play the piano a couple of hours a day, learn new music, revisit old music etc, because everyone does get 'rusty' 😁

Trying to practice casting indoors can be a challenge. My garden is ok for accuracy and a bit of distance. Indoors is a problem with the echo mpr as none of the rooms are wide enough. I can Spey cast in the hall, but I have to use the tip section 😂

We aren't allowed to drive to venues in the UK, go fishing etc, and I do believe they will stop people exercising if people continue to gather in parks.

What do you do to pass the time?

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Boisker

Re: Indoor practice to keep your skills up?

Post by Boisker »

I’m lucky Nick.... I live in a small coastal village in Devon, so low numbers of people and plenty of space.
The first 10 days of lock down I just went for one 3-6 mile walk along the coast path and looped back through the fields each day... the last few days I’ve added 30-40 mins casting first thing in the morning...
Rest of the time I’m working from home...
I’m hoping the village stays quiet over the weekend :whistle:
Carol

Post by Carol »

There is always the good ole pantomime. One thing I've been doing of late while on the stationary recumbent bike is is practicing the STOP with a 3# weight, pretending it is the butt of the rod. It really forces the muscles to understand STOP, but it doesn't do much for the movements.

We are fortunate that we are not confined to the house. We can go for walks or rides as long as social distancing is practiced. We also are being asked to wear masks when in public. We just wear our buffs/fishmasks. It's not dense in our neighborhood, so it's not too hard. Last Sunday we drove 12 miles (staying in County) to fish our favorite spot. It's our favorite because rarely does anyone fish it. That's probably because there are very few fish, the river is fast and the riverbed is comprised of greased bowling balls so you pretty much have to stay on the bank most of the time. The problem with that is it's full of willows, snags, boulders and all manner of potential injury-producing obstacles. Despite all of that, it beats sitting at the computer or watching the tube.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Greetings.

A friendly caster introduced me to a new technique. Now I am trying to learn it indoors by pantomiming several times daily with the butt section of my rod.

This is also a good test of the effectiveness of pantomiming as a teaching method. I look forward to trying the technique this weekend with the entire rod and line.

Otherwise, it is a one-minute risky walk (or a 15-second run) to the shore where I practice spey casting. If a 9' single-handed rod does not yield sufficient social distancing, I pick up my 15' double-handed rod and a long belly line with a 95' head.

Stay safe!

Return to “Flycasting”