PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

“Whoosh” and other sensations

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: “Whoosh” and other sensations

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Lasse, anyone who can generate that sound/speed forward and back has a very, very good casting technique. It is not only the sound he generates but when he does so within his stroke. I can "hear" why he threw over 45 metres.

Not having seen him cast, it it was a pleasure to watch him on your video.

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Dirk le Roux wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:23 am Hi John

Good if that is the sound you're after for distance casting. That's not "whoosh" for me though. "Whoosh" is low pitch, occurs early in the stroke and for me is definitely undesirable.

Cheers,
Dirk
Hi Dirk,

Apologies, I have just read your comments, above. I would like to better understand what it is, how it is generated and what is the impact? Would appreciate your help on what it is.

Thanks,

John
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

John Waters wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:29 am I would like to better understand what it is, how it is generated and what is the impact? Would appreciate your help on what it is.
Hi John

To answer the what it is, I'm trying to make you an acceptable quality recording of the whooshing sound. Suffice for now that what I consider undesirable is the deeper sounding "whoo" initial part more than the "sh" bit at the end.

How is it generated? I don't understand the mechanics. I found though that a strung rod produces the sound whereas I could not produce the same tone with an unstrung rod. The easiest way to make the sound is by a jackrabbit start to the stroke and with an emphasis on early rotation.

Less on purpose though, that "whoo" can pop up at any time, often more faintly, subtly generated by just that bit too much power too soon. Starting slightly too fast or rushing too quickly into the finish.

What is the impact? The casting issues associated with too much force applied too soon, an unbalanced force-to-resistance situation, more particularly a lack of efficiency in casting. But this describes the impact of specific actions and not of the sound, which is a symptom, an indicator of those issues.

The real impact to me is that "whoo"sh sounds an alarm bell telling me to ease off on the force/speed where it occurred during the stroke. It provides a clear audible entreatment of where to calm my efforts until that sound is gone.

All the best,
Dirk
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Dirk, appreciate your detailed reply. I have not experienced that sound, although that may well indicate my lack of discernment rather than my casting. Am not able to cast for a few weeks but will experiment when I can do so.
An interesting observation.

Thanks again,

John
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Hi John

Here is some night-time footage (trying to get rid of background noise) to illustrate the "whoosh" sound.

Cheers,
Dirk
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Dirk le Roux wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:40 am Level of proficiency? Casually at this stage, I am inspired by Lasse's Vimeo clip throwing at a target 100ft out :ninja: Thanks to Gary's warning I would be cool with not getting there if the alarms go off beforehand.
Left-handed and in no-wind conditions with my 5 weight line, I got there a few times yesterday! The fly line is a Northern Sport value-for-money weight forward, 38ft head (measured), 90ft total length. Before yesterday I could get there (rarely) on the 5 wt but with generous tailwind assistance. With a 6 wt clear intermediate, 55ft-head line, I was able to do left-handed 100ft in no wind reasonably soon after setting out on this goal, but with the 5 wt there was a wall at around 90ft. It took comparing timing with my right-handed casting to find the issue, which was a slight translation pause before going into the rotation part of the stroke.

I have made peace with Mark's earlier statement that my non-dominant (left) hand will always be "weaker". If distance is the measure, my left-handed casting is now lagging the right-handed by about 5%. If control in curve casts is the measure, my left-handed casting still trails by 35% though! What I am most chuffed about is, even though previously my backhand casting was not shabby at all, casting left-handed now is supremely comfortable and getting better results!

All the best,
Dirk
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Dirk

Since you can make the different sounds on command, I guess you can describe the differences in casting motion.
Intuitively, I would say that the woosh relates to the butt and the swish to the tip of the rod.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Hi Merlin

The surefire casting motion to generate a whoosh sound is to open the throttles too soon.

To make only the swish, accelerate smoothly to a short, fast finish of the tip. I think "sneaking" the speed and final rotation into the stroke. The last action is punctuating, such as squeeze-stop or flip the tip, I suppose.

In terms of action, it does feel like the whoosh is butt-related and the swish tip-related, but the whooshing sound emanates from the rod tip region. I find it interesting that one can get to the much faster swish speed without whooshing on the way there. Maybe there is a split second of it that I don't detect. I find it even more intriguing that one can make the line sing so fast it goes, with a quiet rod, no swishing even.

All the best,
Dirk
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Dirk,

I have only heard the swish sound, irrespective of whether I am casting a 5 weight MED, a 38 gram head or a two handed 120 gram casting line. I can only discern a whoosh when I move a rod without a line, but have a clinic in a few weeks with a number of casters with both single and double handed rods so will see if I can better understand the difference.

Thanks again,

John

Return to “Flycasting”