PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

'Ideal loading point at the tip of the rod'........oh no!

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

'Ideal loading point at the tip of the rod'........oh no!

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

I got sent a link to a line last week, and i was astounded. How on earth can you have a #2-5 fly line?! There is a simple standard that should be used, and it is rarely followed nowadays with lines getting heavier and heavier. :whistle:

'Ideal loading point at the tip of the rod'. What do you think about this 'spring theory' still being used?! I believe that the colour change shows you the start of the running line, and the end of the head/back taper. For short headed headed weight forwards, i think you need a significant portion of overhang to cast them a long way, and i don't think the colour change at the rod tip will give you this. I haven't cast one for a while (Lasse maybe you can help?) But maybe with something like a Rio gold, the optimum carry for that line is some where around half way down the running line if i remember correctly. What do you think?

Sorry for the rant :laugh:

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Lasse Karlsson

Re: 'Ideal loading point at the tip of the rod'........oh no!

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Interesting, loading the line 🤣

Just leave it, lifes to short for that kind of crap....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

😂

Very true mate 😆

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

If it is one of the lines I have seen recently promoted, I think it is far more important to get the correct colours, rather than the position on the line that the colours change. A simple colour change does not cut it. Far more important is the relative hue and intensity of the colours chosen by the manufacturer. Of course we also need to consider the humanistic aspect of the colour change, rather than just the scientific ramifications eg. What about those of us who suffer colour blindness? Then there are the environmental considerations as well.

Of course the wiser consideration is that proffered by Lasse; “just leave it, life is too short for that kind of crap”. The older I get, the wiser Lasse’s summation becomes.

John
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:05 pmJust leave it, lifes to short for that kind of crap....

Cheers
Lasse
This is why he's a Master. :D
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

John Waters wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:24 pm eg. What about those of us who suffer colour blindness?
If knowing the amount of line outside the tip is important to any caster, the easiest and cheapest solution is a Sharpie marker. It's also infinitely customisable. :yeahhh:

Still, a marketer gotta market ....

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The whole point about a fly rod is that it doesn’t have an ideal loading point. 20 years ago we did imagine the bend running from tip down but that doesn’t actually apply.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:16 am The whole point about a fly rod is that it doesn’t have an ideal loading point. 20 years ago we did imagine the bend running from tip down but that doesn’t actually apply.

Cheers, Paul
Blasfemy, blasfemy I say :D

My 7 weight rod loads optimally with 16,78634674 grams of flyline, and if I use something heavier, it is overloaded, less and it is underloaded and in both cases its not casting well! Mind you my warranty is vold if I use more than 17 grams, and if its a skagit taper the action of the rod is destroyed....

As I said, life is too bloody short for this crap....

:p
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

When a fisherman who uses a line, does not need a color change to understand if he is sufficiently out, rather he needs it to last and not crack, that he does not easily encrust and that he has an elasticity, sinkability, buoyancy and conicity adequate for the fishing for which it is intended.🤔
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t understand these overweight “integrated” shooting heads. Why not just use a shooting head? It’s cheaper, you can cut them to any length you want etc etc. And if you’re still struggling to fly cast, you can always use a bubble float and forget the backcast altogether!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”