PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The left hand pulling the line.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

The left hand pulling the line.

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

The left hand pulls the line, in the back cast, going forward, why does it have to come back if the rotation is to be done late in the forward cast, wouldn't it be enough to wait for the rod to get there?😁
Lasse Karlsson

Re: The left hand pulling the line.

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

You will be feeding line, instead of starting to move it, an that means slack 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It doesn’t mean slack, it means slide :)
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

The most important aspect Ivan is the impact on correct body movement. The left hand position inhibits squaring up the shoulders too early in the stroke. That increases distance and decreases risk of injury to lower back.

John
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

John Waters wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:15 pm The most important aspect Ivan is the impact on correct body movement. The left hand position inhibits squaring up the shoulders too early in the stroke. That increases distance and decreases risk of injury to lower back.

John
Yes John, I was thinking about this, the attempt was to rotate the shoulders late, with the barrel, but perhaps it is precisely by bending the left arm that the problem mentioned by Lasse and Paul is solved, perhaps it is sufficient to have the elbow forward also of the left.🤔😁
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:52 pm It doesn’t mean slack, it means slide :)
Try not moving your hauling hand from the straight position in front of you from your backcast, then wait to start haul until your rodhand gets there and starts rotating. You will get slack.

Slide would be moving the hands together while the line unrolls behind you, doing it after it has unrolled, causes slack.

You move your linehand to the strongest possible position for your haul while the line is unrolling right? Straight out in front of you would be the weakest.

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I often leave my hand in front of me and so this very thing. There is no slack. Of course if you wait until loop straight and then delay you will have slack. So I wouldn’t recommend that :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

If you don't wait to almost loop straight, you waste alot of stroke length, and unless you're Frank, you will have a problem with a long carry, which is what we are talking about here, dancing on thin ice, not jumping on concrete....

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Of course but it’s not always about the longest cast. If it is about the longest cast then I agree! In fact I think the primary reason however for not leaving it out there is because that would mean starting the haul with a straight arm :D

For fast short-mid range shots, like I have here with my fishing, there usually isn’t enough line out to both shoot line and return the hauling hand. It’s possible to do both at the same time with some practise but I don’t see any advantage particularly because we release line before the haul has completed.

Indeed stopping people from returning the line hand can be very difficult!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”