PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Focus Points

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Focus Points

Post by Paul Arden »

Creativity comes from Chaos springs to mind :pirate:

Oh yeah and you’re right about something else too Lasse.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

My late big brother once gave me a sign that said "A clean desk, is a sign of a sick mind...." Never had a clean desk :p

And now I'm curious :oh:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve never had a desk :D

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

It shows.... :D

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally when I’m working on my casting - every day at the moment actually! - I start from the ground up. Foot position, bent knees, weight shift, body rotation, shoulder/arm movement, haul and speed, delayed rotation. And then I go tip path, loop shape and finally targets. I may or may not work on the launch. That’s almost organised :)

I have a similar thing with casts. Short casts, short casts with speed, gradually increasing distance. Ditto with roll casts and then dynamic, PUALDs. I spend a lot of time on Carry (so much to learn there) and sometimes Funk. I’ll almost always do both. And of course if it’s a lumiline I’ll most probably have some casting music to move to (not Lee’s type of music but not country music either).

I’ll usually specifically work on one thing, sometimes for weeks! Right now I’m focusing on something Lasse said and it’s giving me a different perception of the stroke. Also I have the left handed challenge to think about. I’ll start that next week however because I’m tuning up the right.

One thing I do firmly believe, is that if you are getting stale or hit a wall, then to either have a break or to work on one of the other cornerstones. The four cornerstones are Accuracy, Distance, Presentation Casts and Speys. I suggest dividing your practise time roughly equally between the four as much as possible. But don’t work on all four together. Take them one at a time, get to the point where you’ve hit the wall and then change the game and work on something else. Many times I’ve climbed over an insurmountable wall by having a break and coming back to it a month or more later.

It’s a broader subject of course because there are drills and targets, competition considerations and so on. Practise alone will only take you so far; you need to structure your practise and also figure out what works for you. Something I think many people may miss is that practising is learning, constantly figuring out how to be better. That’s also what makes it fun of course.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

That's a pretty tidy desk though ;)

Seriously, I agree on just about everything there, some are more connected, and I enjoy doing all four of your cornerstones at once :cool:

Now I really need to lie down :upside:

Cheers
Lasse

Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

It's weird, hardly anyone ever focuses on the scrolling part under the loop, how and when, I've only seen Lasse's release footage before, maybe I missed a few posts.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Do you mean the wave/s at the bottom of the loop, Ivan? I try to eliminate that. In fact I try to eliminate that through rod design! But if you mean the bottom of the loop point through counterflex, well that can be pretty sexy!

I spend a lot of time shaping loops with carry. In fact I’m off to do this right now. From the roof of my boat with the lumiline (it’s night now, and no moon!) one of the most important FC drills for me is to shape loops with a long (90’+) carry. If I was to pick the one drill that has made me a good flycaster, it is this one, head and shoulders above the rest. Everything is in there. And that’s knowledge I think that you can only get by doing it. It’s not even about distance, it’s about loop control.

The nice thing about doing one Lasse and not four all at once - for me anyway - is that I look forward to the change. But I do the same thing in fishing, so it might be more of a personal thing :cool:

Goodnight chaps!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:47 pm Do you mean the wave/s at the bottom of the loop, Ivan? I try to eliminate that. In fact I try to eliminate that through rod design! But if you mean the bottom of the loop point through counterflex, well that can be pretty sexy!

I spend a lot of time shaping loops with carry. In fact I’m off to do this right now. From the roof of my boat with the lumiline (it’s night now, and no moon!) one of the most important FC drills for me is to shape loops with a long (90’+) carry. If I was to pick the one drill that has made me a good flycaster, it is this one, head and shoulders above the rest. Everything is in there. And that’s knowledge I think that you can only get by doing it. It’s not even about distance, it’s about loop control.

The nice thing about doing one Lasse and not four all at once - for me anyway - is that I look forward to the change. But I do the same thing in fishing, so it might be more of a personal thing :cool:

Goodnight chaps!

Cheers, Paul
I'm referring to the bottom of the loop up to the barrel.
Bianchetti Ivan

Bianchetti Ivan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:27 pm
Paul Arden wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:47 pm Do you mean the wave/s at the bottom of the loop, Ivan? I try to eliminate that. In fact I try to eliminate that through rod design! But if you mean the bottom of the loop point through counterflex, well that can be pretty sexy!

Goodnight chaps!

Cheers, Paul
I'm referring to the bottom of the loop up to the barrel.
90 'without the left hand or with the left hand?

Return to “Flycasting”