PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly casting Advice please

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Dave Warren
Answers: 0

Fly casting Advice please

Post by Dave Warren »

Hi all, I’ve been looking into distance casting for about 3 weeks!! Not had loads of practice but am getting some great advice from Nick Moore. Nick suggest I posted up a video to see what you guys think and see what other pointers I can get.

I was using my very sexy Sexyloops #4 with a Rio Tech Trout #4 cast hit the backing so approx 90’ over all. Loads of room for improvement, the same day I managed over 100’ with the thunderbolt #6 on Nicks Sage TCR so far retry chuffed with myself so far. I take criticism very well so fire away!!! Please!!

Just added a previous cast using #6 also
James9118

Re: Fly casting Advice please

Post by James9118 »

Hi Dave,

Have you found Paul's masterclass videos on sexyloops yet - https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/introduction This is a great resource.

Cheers, James
Dave Warren

Post by Dave Warren »

I have mate, watch a lot of it daily.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Dave,

Nice casting, I would focus on one thing at the moment, that being the speed of both hands. The first thing I noticed from your video is that both hands move at close to the same speed. That is a natural outcome and many casters do not progress past that. However, for maximum distance you want to develop a distinctly dual hand speed technique, the haul hand moving faster than the rod hand. Put your focus on hauling fast and late. Most casters focus on their rod hand and that is fine to ensure it moves in the right plane and on the correct line, but after that is locked in, forget it. Focus on increasing the speed of your haul hand to the stage that you cannot accelerate it at a greater rate. I would suggest you can start creating that speed gap now.

Well done and keep extending your casting comfort zone,

John
Dave Warren

Post by Dave Warren »

Great thanks John.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You definitely need to look at the haul, Dave, as John suggests. But I always give two things and not one :D

What I would be looking at is your backcast. I would start off with lowering the elbow slightly. Your hand is quite high and that makes it difficult to put the body in behind the cast. The second thing I would look at is how you are applying the force on the backcast; you are trying to force the rod backwards with the forearm and you are applying a lot of force to do this. Instead, a better technique, is to come through more gently, concentrate on stopping the forearm, and then flip over with the wrist. The resulting speed will be higher. The speed is not the forearm, it is the wrist. And that’s when you should be applying the bulk of the haul of course.

It’s the same on the forward cast but you are closer to that there. Incidentally always fully straighten your hauling arm for this.

Not bad at all by the way and looks *fairly* straight :) :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”