PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Recent FP from Paul

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Recent FP from Paul

Post by Paul Arden »

When dealing with a line that’s in the 1/2 line weight category I use the lighter line weight for throwing poppers. It’s a little bit quicker as opposed to a little bit slower. So on the HT10 I fish an Infinity Salt 9. I’ve also used a Redfish 9.

I have obviously experimented with a wider difference but this was not the point of the video.

Nope don’t think I’ve ever needed such quick shots in NZ or UK. Even in salt I don’t think it makes a significant difference. However if you are going heavier in salt for speed then you are going the wrong way :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:35 am However if you are going heavier in salt for speed then you are going the wrong way :)
I still think this is a remarkable conclusion.
I can imagine fishing in the salt often includes wind and streamers.
The most likely situation seems that someone has trouble overcoming the wind (and thus slower shots).
The solution would be a heavier line.

Cheers, Bart
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paul. Before we start to go round in circles. Are you not just trying to say that a lighter line is faster? Maybe because of less air resistance.
I can believe that up to a certain extend.
Just don’t say it is a general rule of thumb in a fishing situation where the weight of the fly line is often determined by the type of fly you want to cast. ;)

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Using a heavier line can of course help in windy situations, but simply putting a heavier line on the same rod comes with disadvantages too. Such as lower maximum line speed, more challenging backcast carry and so on.

For a good caster a better solution would be to use a stiffer rod. But that comes at a price - you need better technique, variable arc and fast hauling.

However since we have moved now to casters such as Board members who have the ability to shape loops, deliver with high line speed and take accurate shots, then for these anglers underlining or overrodding, offers advantages in speed. That’s important info when it comes to these lines that are mid AFFTA line weight.

And critically (!!!) using a half weight heavy line will slow the shot when compared to using a AFFTA conforming line :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The reason for this experiment was this topic I started two years ago viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2660&hilit=Fast+shots

I notice line speed differences particularly when I go from 10WT to 4WT but really it’s all through the range. Obviously - or at least I thought it was obvious - that using lighter lines on a given rod stiffness can lead to higher line speed capability (opposite of heavier lines for faster shots which I often read on the Internet, particularly with half or full line weight heavier). I was surprised to find that in question since we have been uplining/downlining in shootouts for years!

Now of course this topic is quite important for me because I’ve been experimenting with tackle and technique and +/- 1/2s makes a big difference here. In fact if I could speed up my shot further then I would catch more fish no question!

But the initial curiosity was sparked when I’ve been trying to make speed shots all day with the 10WT for Snakehead and then I pick up the 4WT for Gourami and my casting speed simply moves up a gear. Speed shots for Gourami are less important because they are at the surface for longer, but you still need to be fast because they are unpredictable and it’s very difficult if not impossible to change fly direction mid-cast!

Anyway that’s what it’s about. :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Finally made it out to test Pauls theory....

10 falsecasts with a affta 4 line on a tcx 690 rod with 16 meters from hauling hand to line end.

Two tries and it takes me between 19.42 seconds to 19.91 seconds from pickup to laydown.

10 false casts with a affta 8 line on a tcx 690 rod with 16 meters from hauling hand to line end.

Two tries and it takes me between 17.79 seconds and 17.99 seconds from pick up to laydown.

Leader on both lines where the same, and so was the size of the fluff. Was considering trying a popper, but quite sure it would not go well with the 4 weight line as my only popper presently are quite big. Tried Pauls snakehead PUALD from 6 to 16 meters, managed with the 8 line, the 4 fell about 6 meters short on all tries...

Will try to get some video up when I figure out how to stitch on a mobile :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

And here's a video clip so you can time for yourself 😊

Cheers
Lasse

James9118

Post by James9118 »

Who was shooting at you? :-)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul 🤣🤣🤣

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

In seriousness, kids throwing stuff on the ice behind the camera, the canal is frozen...

Return to “Flycasting”