PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Recent FP from Paul

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Recent FP from Paul

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi George,

Those were both at my maximum possible speed (I suppose with an element of control). The line has to unroll, you have to get it moving in the right direction taking account of the rod and then BANG! Both casts were as fast as a 10 false cast cycle would permit.

I noticed that on the heavier line the loop “tucking” after LSP (loop straight) was more of an issue.

Now theory can follow and I could suggest it’s because with the heavier line we have to wait longer for the rod to load/unload. Maybe it’s because we can move the lighter line mass quicker through the air. Perhaps it has to do with a narrower casting arc. Maybe the lighter line is more aerodynamic. Possibly the lighter (thinner) line naturally forms a tighter loop. I think we would have to devise experiments to isolate which one/s are responsible.

Your other question is right up my street! I spent quite a lot of time trying to make snakehead shots fly in hand. Completely impossible. I literally only have 1-2 seconds. However I have experimented with 8 vs 10WT lines on respective relative rod stiffnesses ie 8WT HT vs 10WT HT. The 8WT is definitely faster. Not much but it’s certainly there. With regards distance I would revert to what line goes the furthest? If you ignore flies then I think - for my physique anyway - that an 8WT goes the furthest.

That’s how I look at it anyway. If fly size is not an issue than I have more “reach” with an 8WT line or thereabouts. Overrodding (to a point...) will result in faster shots. That optimal point is certainly not where even current rods that are deemed stiff by AFFTA ratings are beyond.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Paul,

Nice video.
It does not surprise me that you can cast the #4 line faster than the #7 on the rod you where using. But let's be honest, you created a situation to backup your statement. Try the same with a big pike streamer and see if you get the same results ;) .
The problem I had with your earlier post was that you stated that for faster shots you need to underline. This is only true for very specific situations.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bart,

I would argue that it’s my case is more general and your case more specific :p The reason I downlined by two and up by one (would have been two but the 8 line wasn’t handy) was simply to emphasise the difference. Normally it’s half or one line up or down. Given the choice between going 1/2 up or 1/2 down I would go half down for speed and I’m quite sure 1/2 line weight won’t make much difference when it comes to fly size!

Here it makes a difference. And anyone who tells you these half line weights heavier are better for speed has it exactly wrong!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

I wonder how many more fish you caught because of this faster shots :p
Anyway, I never heard someone asking what he should do to get faster shots because he can’t present the fly in time.
The advice to get a heavier line because of your fly is much more heard. In the end that also comes down to wanting a faster shot. I pike fly can be cast with a light line, but it will take long to present.
Bottom line. Your case is more specific and has less importance :p

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I guess pike don’t move very fast :p

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:46 pm I guess pike don’t move very fast :D
Not that fast it needs a 200ms faster shot ;)

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

We will have this conversation again after you’ve spent a week here :D

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

But it’s not just here. It’s saltwater, it’s throwing into the wind. And really it’s not about underlining, it’s about the benefits of a stiffer rod. Put a heavier line on and you lose those benefits. These 1/2WT plus lines that are being commonly stated as being good for fast shots are good, but only if you put 1/2WT lighter on :)

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:51 pm We will have this conversation again after you’ve spent a week here :D
Sure, but you are in a very specific situation ;)
Honestly, in all your years fishing in the UK, New Zealand, etc - did you ever have to underline because you thought the speed would make a difference?

Cheers, Bart
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I was hoping to see a video of you casting that snakehead popper with a line -1 vs. = to the label on the rod.

Fluffchucking is like assuming we fish in an alternate dimension of the universe.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Flycasting”