PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Ring which bell?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Ring which bell?

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul,

When you set the location of the bell for your imaginary destination for the back cast, how do you determine it?

The target is the final destination of the presentation cast so that is real. I assume it is the surface of the water or some point a bit elevated above the water. But what do you use for the second point that will determine the imaginary line that will lead to where the bell is when the line carried in the bc extends fully?

Do you imagine some theoretical location like the rod tip at MCL, or do you just have an angle of elevation in mind?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Ring which bell?

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary,

That’s a good question! I use the angle of the line at the beginning of the power snap, and follow that back with my mind’s eye. That’s the angle to ingrain I think. Another way of looking at it would be the angle the rod tip makes to the target and the beginning of the Casting Stroke, after the lift, which is the same thing.
321FA7E9-1CC6-4C2B-82A6-9845D54733A6.jpeg
321FA7E9-1CC6-4C2B-82A6-9845D54733A6.jpeg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Hovering makes it more challenging of course because the target is a couple of feet above the ring and not one inch above the surface. Otherwise there is a danger of ticking.

Anyway that’s what goes through my head.

When taking shots it’s the same thing. See the fish, where do I want to place the fly? Ie look at the target and not the fish. Align the bell and then make the shot. With a PUALD it’s easy and I believe that’s how to ingrain the angles during practise.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”