PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Longest possible static roll cast

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Longest possible static roll cast

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

I was trying a couple of different lines with a grass anchor tool, and a tape measure, to see which of them went the furthest. I still need to try the Barrio slx, #5 med etc.

10 casts each line, 9' leader 30' fly line out the tip, single haul.

SL thunderbolt #6 average 57'

Rio SHS '#6' average 63'

I was wondering. What do you think the absolute maximum possible distance is with a static roll? 😊

All the best!
Attachments
20210403_180508.jpg
20210403_180521.jpg
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
James9118

Re: Longest possible static roll cast

Post by James9118 »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:00 pm
I was wondering. What do you think the absolute maximum possible distance is with a static roll? 😊
You're going to have to state some 'rules' Nick because left completely open I'm sure we could all come up with outfits that could be cast 150ft or more ... cough T120 :D .

Cheers, James
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Ah, yes :D 9' (what I was using) single handed rod, small/medium D loop and a static position, i.e no stepping forward to make a huge d loop :D just your bog standard static roll.

All the best!
Nick M

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Using a grass anchor tool is really cheating as even on water the anchor slides backwards 🙂

That said, with those rules, a brick on a string type lines are going to go the furthest.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Depends on what is a small/medium sized D loop. Years ago when I took the EFFF test the line had to hang below the rod tip and there was no reaching behind. Under these conditions and with a long belly line I found around 60’ to be around maximum. That’s over water.

If however medium sized D loop means you can walk back back 10m and walk forward 10m (which I’m sure it doesn’t by the way :p) then you should be able to throw a whole line or at least a long way.

So this is very much governed by D loop size. If I reached back and/or took a step forward it’s going to make quite a difference.

Dynamic roll upper end is somewhere low 90s with a long belly line. More commonly in the 80s. Bernd, Lee and I had a mini competition once.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:49 pm Using a grass anchor tool is really cheating as even on water the anchor slides backwards 🙂

That said, with those rules, a brick on a string type lines are going to go the furthest.

Cheers
Lasse
:D

I'll do the same test again with no anchor tool if you like 😊, but you are right of course. I'll have to get the tape measure out over the lake :D

Thanks, Paul. I don't actually use the static roll much, I go dynamic wherever I can. I'd be interested to see the distance differences between grass and water. Thanks for the figures mate, i still think that for practical trout fishing, a long belly or DT is the most versatile. 😎

All the best!
Nick M

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I get 65' with a 6wt SH Spey line on water. (My line is marked at that length - I might get even further if I really try.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:03 pm Depends on what is a small/medium sized D loop. Years ago when I took the EFFF test the line had to hang below the rod tip and there was no reaching behind. Under these conditions and with a long belly line I found around 60’ to be around maximum. That’s over water.

Cheers, Paul
That largely depended on the examiner on the day...

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Even the examiners were inconsistent in this regards. The whole thing was a bit silly really. A long time ago :)

However the point was if you restrict your D-loop to what hangs below the rod tip and you don’t reach back when setting it up it makes a huge difference. Could be as much as a 50% more in the D-loop when reaching back. In turn that completely changes how much you can roll out.

I agree with you on the short brick and string with static rolls. With dynamic ones it can work the other way of course. Which is interesting.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

They where indeed :D

And yes, that would be the point, which is also why the TT line was favored by most.

And get the right brick on string, and its not a competition ;)

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting”