PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Jason Borger Books

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

WC
Answers: 0

Jason Borger Books

Post by WC »

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone has read the books "Nature of Fly Casting" and "Single Handed Fly Casting" by Jason Borger.
I've heard that NFC goes a bit deeper into casting mechanics than the new book. Are these good for experienced casters?
I'm fairly good at casting with years of practice but there's always something new to learn. I understand these books are at the top for casting
instruction. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Jason Borger Books

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve gone through both. I found the second one to be far more readable. The artwork is incredible. Jason has basically taken still images and redrawn them to take out the clutter. I do like the modular system which is a heavy part of the first book. I just got the impression it was written with instructors in mind. They are both very comprehensive. I’ve certainly learned things from both books. I would say that both books are targeted for higher level casters and the latest book is a very serious piece of work indeed. I was meaning to put it in the boat actually. I’ll have a look for it tonight!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
SevenWeight

Post by SevenWeight »

I own, have read, and have studied both books. From my perspective, the 2nd book is a refinement of the first. Both books break the fundamentals of the fly cast into modular building blocks that are used to define and teach increasingly useful and specialized applications of the basic cast. The Foundation Casting Stroke taught by Jason is quite similar to the pickup-and-laydown cast Paul teaches in his video casting course posted elsewhere on this site with only minor differences in stance and alignment. Illustrations, overall organization and writing clarity in both books is superb. The illustrations are based on actual high-speed video showing the exact positions of the rod and the caster's body throughout the stroke that is being illustrated, rather than theory. In other words, the basis is far more scientific than most traditional instruction books. As I believe Paul notes, Jason has used his line drawings to emphasize exactly what the reader should be focused on. I believe the 2nd book was printed as a limited edition and I consider myself fortunate to have a signed copy. You couldn't go wrong with either.
WC

Post by WC »

Hey guys.
Thanks so much for your responses.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I have Single handed fly casting pretty much to hand in a small book stand by a comfy chair in the sitting room.... I pretty much worked my way though it when I first bought it and still regularly pick it up to re-read particulars relating to specific casts depending on what I am practicing (or thinking about practicing)...
I can’t compare it to many other casting books as I the only other one I have used is Simon gawesworth spey casting, but I really like the modular lay out, ink drawings and how the technical details and explanations are developed.... a great book.

Return to “Flycasting”