PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Advice please

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Cris
Answers: 0

Advice please

Post by Cris »

Had a practice session today getting ready to get back out on the kayak, a good strong breeze blowing 10-14 gusting to 20ish I like practicing in harder conditions so better prepared for when they happen fishing
One of the shots I was trying to get was the fly dropping before the line but struggled with the last 2-3 meters of line landing first a lot of the time and wasn’t able to figure out if it’s because I’m putting extra force in my haul to cope with the wind or if the wind was effecting the fly/line and how it landed or I was just casting like an idiot
Set up is a sage salt 9ft 9# with Rio permit line going to a Rio 25lb tapered leader to tippet ring then 18” of 15lb fluro tippet
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Advice please

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Cris, what sort of range? And how are you trying to do this? And finally, what do you have on the end of the leader?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Cris

Post by Cris »

Practice fly is a clouser type thing on a size 6 hook with small dumbbell eyes fly length approx 2”
Range of shot 20-40ft
Method is normal cast but stopping rod tip higher
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok well it’s all about trajectories on the backcast. Make sure your backcast target aligns to the front target. I aim 1” above the water.

I like torque twist for the delivery. I’ve made some videos on this. But I wouldn’t use a high stop with a weighted fly. Instead just use trajectories and get the tip out the way.

If I get a chance tomorrow I’ll try to film something.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Cris

Post by Cris »

Awesome thanks, I’ll try to hunt out the vids
Cris

Post by Cris »

Just found the vid, makes a lot of sense, something new to practice, how much force do you put in to the twist or is it just a natural rotation movement
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s like laying it on a plate. I haven’t built up a file of analogies on this yet. For me it’s like laying it out there. But I use it much more too. I also use it for Snakehead distance shots. There it’s more aggressive.

Everything else has to be right first. Teaching this for me is the icing on the cake. You should be able to do everything first without the TT. And then it’s a great thing to use.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry Cris didn’t get a chance today but tomorrow I’m free after fishing to shoot some video! :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”