PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Loading (again) in Roll CASTING/Spey CASTING

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Loading (again) in Roll CASTING/Spey CASTING

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Mike,

I know it's a bit late to be saying this (the puddles might be gone) but you might be able to get some experimental evidence to answer your own question by going out there with a 6wt rod and a 10wt rod, using the same line on both. The 6wt will bend more than the 10wt (theoretically) and you'll see for yourself which works best in the situation.

I liked the SH Spey line as a "training wheel" but I'm happy to make any roll or spey cast with any standard WF or DT line now. (Certain lines still suck though, like the Outbound Short.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Graeme H wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:48 pm (Certain lines still suck though, like the Outbound Short.)

Cheers,
Graeme
Hi Graeme

Really? I find it rolls fine and speys really good, mind you, the ones I have doesn't follow the specs on the website for the taper,

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

All the roll casting is used( by the book) where there is limited space behind our back
That's about number 8 on my list of roll casting priorities when I teach it, and when I use it.

1. To remove slack.
2. Windy day cast.
3. Roll cast pick up.
4. Fundamental Spey move
5. Getting a fly off a snag.
6. GREAT cast for close in presentations on the flats with heavy flies
7. Getting a weighted fly to the surface
8. When there's no back cast space.

Teach all the other really practical benefits of learning how to roll cast and students tend to be much more interested. Many never find themselves in a situation where they're cramped for back cast space.

My other comment would be to learn the CIRCLE and UP move rather than that big level drop that puts point P way back behind you.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Nice list Morsie,
Cheers
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

I remember a couple of years ago numbers 2, 6 and 8 needing to be used on one fish. We were in a flats boat on a howling windy day drifting across a flat and blue barstool showed up at 4 o'clock only 30 feet out. Impossible for the guy at the back of the boat to do a back cast because the boat was in the way and the heavy fly would have blown into the boat and those standing in it, a right shoulder roll cast would have had the D blowing into the boat and motor, so it was a backhand roll cast that landed gently and the fish was caught. A very sweet moment.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Nice. Another use I have for it in trout fishing is to set a hook if the fish eats at the end of the dibble.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”