PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Best way to present weighted flies

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Tommy
Answers: 0

Best way to present weighted flies

Post by Tommy »

I am wondering what is the best way to accurately present weighted flies without having them kick at the end of the cast. Is it best to just back off on the power on the forward stroke? Even with very little power they still seem to end up wanting to curve or tuck. I was fishing weighted streamers and the slack from the tuck / curve was causing them to sink a bit faster than I wanted and also left a little bit of time out of contact with the flies right after they entered the water. It also affected accuracy on sidearm casts.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Best way to present weighted flies

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Tommy,

If the targets align back and front and you cast over the tip of the rod the fly won’t kick left or right but can tuck. So you can simply lower your front target so that when the loop straightens the fly is 1” above the water surface. It’s actually possible to do this with a tilted casting plane too, simply practise having the loop unroll such that the fly is (almost) on the water at Loop Straight.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”