PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Accuracy on quick shots and when shooting line

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Tommy
Answers: 0

Accuracy on quick shots and when shooting line

Post by Tommy »

When reading about techniques for accuracy I usually see it mentioned to try and measure the distance with false casts and hover the fly over the target. There are a lot of fishing situations where that wouldn't be possible. Specifically when you are on a drift boat and you want to cast within a couple inches of structure or if you are sight casting to moving fishing and you don't have time for an extra false cast. Is there a technique to get better at this or is it mostly just based on practice and feel. I can get pretty close but I still end up hitting the bank some times or leaving it a few inches too short.
tomo

Re: Accuracy on quick shots and when shooting line

Post by tomo »

Hi,
I need to keep my eyes locked completely on the target, but also being aware of how much line is shooting out with my peripheral vision so to speak. Even better if I can track the fly. Definitely takes some practice!

I find it crucial to check the shoot (grab the flyline) once the fly gets to the target, otherwise I've lost alot of control about where the fly lands. Also, keeping a vertical rod plane allows the turnover in a straight line (assuming this is your intention of course!!)

Cheers, Tom.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

This is a very interesting one, Tommy and it’s very close to what I do and teach.

Great post there from Tomo!

So let’s look at left and right first. It should never be left or right. Certainly not with an overhead shot. Hitting targets in this weird accuracy comp way will help sort that particular problem out. Very important advice I think is to be square to the delivery target. If there is time to change the foot position then great but there is always time to move the hips. This delivery cast as much as possible should be the same.

So the next Issue is the leader not landing straight. If the fly curves left or right then it’s a tracking error. Alternatively if you’ve cast off-plane and it curves it can be a trajectory error. I aim, when taking fast shots, for the fly to land one inch above the water surface. If there is slack in the leader it means a low backcast ie trajectories not aligned.

All the above are technique fixes which can be achieved by throwing at rings, or/and repeated PUALD casting exercises to a target.

Judging length is the final and most difficult consideration… firstly you need to dial in on the leader length. Eg my popper leader is 10’. My gourami leader is 18-20’. And the first thing I do when I pick up the rod is play with it. Aim at targets and dial in the leader length. I especially need to do this when charging rods. I don’t know how the leader length goes into the subconscious but it does. I’ve experimented with this on each of the rods, and if I change the leader length I lose my accuracy. So it’s very much dialled in and if I can’t dial it in then I will shorten or lengthen the leader as appropriate.

Checking the shoot as Tomo writes above is crucial. And you want that leader usually to land straight with no slack. Otherwise your first strip does nothing! It’s a great habit to get into, as the line is shooting through the fingers, to reach up towards the stripping guide. Check the shoot and then you are ready to immediately strip.

There are two other things. The first is that there are always two targets. You must hit them both. If you miss the back target you will miss the front! What works for me on the front target is to actually pick my target first and then never take my eyes of it. That’s not the fish but precisely where I where I want to place the fly. It doesn’t take very long to pick it, a fraction of a moment. The next thought is my back target (in my mind) and then I cast. That fraction of a second pause is key to accuracy. Without it it’s always going to be hit and miss. I see it here with guests all the time while they develop their accuracy shots. It a very common error not to pick the target first.

Every single cast I pick a target. Not just when making shots but everything, even all the “in-between” casts. I also practise by hitting leaves. I find it far easier to get close to a leaf without hovering than to get in a ring with hovering. (Which is a bit frustrating in competition!!)

I would add and stress the importance of backhand delivery shots. I use and teach the 170 Stopless delivery for backhand shots (apart from the occasional ambidextrous guest!). I’ve had very few quests here who can make accurate backcast shots before they arrive. It is very important and opens up a lot more water and opportunities. For example let’s say you are running a shoreline hitting the banks, front of the boat, nose down, right-handed, there is a wind blowing from the stern and the bank is starboard. If you can’t make an accurate backhand shot that entire opportunity is gone.

The above is all for fast straight shots. Something I play with here is developing fast curve casts. I have a fast curve cast shot for when an adult rises behind a set of babies. For these casts I don’t just see the target; I also see the line configuration layout in my mind before the backcast. It still only takes an instant to do this but it only works when I visualise it first.

I’d better stop writing now or I’ll never stop :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I do find judging the length of the cast to be most difficult. Usually when I am fishing I will change the leader regularly to get the best drift so it's length is always changing. I will try to set up one rod / leader and keep it constant for this type of fishing.

I can't say for sure but I am probably not focusing on the target during the cast and I know I'm not picking back-cast targets unless I know there are trees behind me. When I am fishing I do not believe I consciously think about the cast while I am executing it for 99% of my casts. I will pick out what I want the cast to do and then go back to focusing on the fishing while I cast subconsciously. Do you find yourselves relying on muscle memory mostly for casts or for every cast are you going over that list of picking two targets, squaring up your body, checking the shoot, etc. I am wondering if I just need to change my practice to include these things for every cast so I do it subconsciously or if I need to try and focus more on the cast itself while fishing.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

For me it’s subconscious, Tommy, but I know I have the awareness of both targets and I get my alignment as close as possible squared. It “just happens” but that’s only because I’ve trained it.

Another way of visualising it is to have the two targets in your mind with a straight line joining them. Every time you practise making shots visualise (and square to) the line first. Eventually it will become automatic and you’ll have this necessary spacial awareness that will pop up every time you make the shot.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”