PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Distance Casting In Hot-Humid-Calm Conditions: Thin Air Tough Casting?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

Re: Distance Casting In Hot-Humid-Calm Conditions: Thin Air Tough Casting?

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Stefano De Martini wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:15 am :D Ivan, you need to adjust some translation of Google. By the way because i'm italian i well undestand what you are meaning. Yes i agree. The hot air on a sunny summer day certainly tends to create a convective motion by "lifting" the line as well.
Certainly with the warm air that is less dense than the cold one and with a little push upwards there can be some advantages.
Unfortunately when I write, I don't know what I am saying 😂😂😳
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Richard - so fog is denser air, that is a real distance killer for me. I’m still unsure why dew point would be a cast killer however. It’s very interesting because by this point in the day I’m in full flow. But I lose 10-20’ and my toes get wet :)

It’s sun down here (almost dark) and my phone tells me it’s 25C, 98% humidity and 1008hPa. What I have never really paid much attention to is air pressure and it’s something I have to look more closely at.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Richard Floggwater
Answers: 0

Post by Richard Floggwater »

Given the radiation fog description from NOAA, that’s what happens - air cools, compresses, and is therefore, denser. Looks like 1) cold calm air inside would be denser, and 2) fog in various forms can be denser than whatever “normal” air might be. That increased density would logically increase drag reducing distance casts effectiveness. Hot/thinner air - a mysterious deleterious effect. Witches north or south of 25 degrees latitude; voodoo closer to the equator I’d guess. :666:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Witches north or south of 25 degrees latitude; voodoo closer to the equator I’d guess.
That would explain it :D

There are small weather stations that connect to smartphones that are not overly expensive. If we noted the data, along with max carry and max distance then over time we would have some real numbers. Of course it would need to be the same set of casters to make it meaningful.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”