PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Roll casting weight

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Tommy
Answers: 0

Roll casting weight

Post by Tommy »

When I roll cast with weight on the end of the leader there is a tendency for the fly to shoot upwards and travel in a big loop. I think this happens more with lighter lines and longer leaders (it was very noticeable last night fishing some streamers on a 2wt line). Is there something I can change in my technique to avoid this and get a tighter loop or is this a tackle problem?
Morsie

Re: Roll casting weight

Post by Morsie »

Without knowing anything about the profile of the head of your line - \\\/ Lift first - then move your hand further before you rotate - study Simon Gawesworth's ABC teaching/learning technique. This will 1) develop momentum. 2) Increase your Dloop. 3) decrease your anchor, and all three things combined should help.Or maybe the fly is just too heavy for the tackle.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

Rollcasting a streamer with a 2 wt line sounds like a recipie for failure unless the streamer is small and light. What kind of streamers are you trying to cast?

/Thomas
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I was using a Triangle Taper 2WT and two jig style mini Wooly Buggers or one Sparkle Minnow.

I do try to delay rotation but I think I can exaggerate it more by extending my elbow and actually leaning forward so I will try that tonight.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Tommy,

Trying to place the anchor/flies as far back as possible as the situation will allow should help. Quite challenging with the longer leader and heavy-ish flies.

However the loop shouldn’t be wide. There is a very good drill by Brian Henderson in this video which I can throughly recommend for tightening loops…

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

And with a 2 weight - missed that bit.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You’re doing well to actually get the flies airborne. :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”