PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Backcast Delivery Help Needed

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bendix
Answers: 0

Backcast Delivery Help Needed

Post by Bendix »

Hi All

Every once in a while, I go fly fishing at the Danish coast, in a terrible wind! And so, one of the safest casts you can do, is to do the delivery in the back cast, while facing the wind, and doing the cast behind you. Unfortunately, I have to accept that I absolutely suck at this cast! Every time I try and do it, the tip of the fly line and the leader/tippet/fly lands in a big “U” shape, with the fly next to the fly line!!!

And so, I think it’s time to learn to be better at this cast. So, I am planning on getting started with this tomorrow, at the local park, where I can cast on grass.

But before I go, I was wondering if anyone here, could please give me some pointers, on how to do this cast, so I can hopefully learn to do it correct from the start, rather than starting out with lots of mistakes…

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

By the way, in case it matters, I am planning on practicing with a 9ft 8wt rod, and a floating WF 8 SA MPX line, as this is my go-to gear when the wind is bad on the coast.

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Backcast Delivery Help Needed

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bendix,

There are many ways to make the cross shoulder backcast…

https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/sidew ... -shoulder/

In the video I talk about turning around and delivering on your “backcast”. That’s what I do for fast shots, quartering headwind and distance. Use the grip that positions the rod butt in against the forearm and make a delivery cast like you would make a 170 backcast.

I often see the line landing in a curve here when people try backcast shots. I teach to imagine that you are throwing a frisbee orientated vertically. Reach to the target straight with your forearm and make sure that the Rod plane is vertical. To sight (you must sight!) look over your shoulder, don’t turn your body half around which will screw your tracking. Many people are looking the wrong way :laugh:

On the “forward” cast, which really becomes your backcast, aim high to a target and straight. Don’t reach forwards with your arm as you normally might.

The haul that you will generate from this technique is amazing. It’s the best delivery haul that you can make. But make sure that you finish with a straight hauling arm, you should look like you are making the wings of an aeroplane :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

By looking over your shoulder I mean like this:
4904F2BE-60C8-44F1-8AD5-2A9A26013E03.png
4904F2BE-60C8-44F1-8AD5-2A9A26013E03.png (371.21 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Cheers,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Thank you very much Paul.

Definitely some good advice to try out tomorrow!

/Bendix
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Bendix
I got one video here on the subject. It also talks about loop morph.
It looks a bit like a lazy cast, but you can sharpen your haul and stroke deepening on the wind, head length of your line, and amount of line you want to keep in the air.
In the video I use Rio Leviathan 350grains, so 26feet of fast sinking head and a 2/0 clouser- it is not designed to practice tight sexy loops, specially in a windy conditions.

Cheers
Mike
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Paul and Mike

I’m just back after spending about an hour at the local park, practicing this cast.

And after about half an hour, I really started to nail this cast. Especially the part about imagining that I was casting a frisbee was really helpful. So now I feel a lot more confident about doing this cast, the next time I encounter this sort of wind at the coast (or a lake).

So thank you both for your help!!!

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great Bendix!! After the forward delivery is straight and vertical what I find good to focus on is how your haul and rod arms finish. Often I see a truncated haul or a haul that “bounces” and often before completion.
811F5340-1D57-40EE-8530-B432C0112851.jpeg
811F5340-1D57-40EE-8530-B432C0112851.jpeg (68.85 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
You want to strive to finish with your hands as far apart as possible and hold this position slightly while the loop initially forms.

Great to hear it’s working! :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”