PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Castinbg practice and music

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Viking Lars
Answers: 0

Castinbg practice and music

Post by Viking Lars »

From today's front page, I wonder if others listen to music while casting and if so, what kid of music - which bands/artists.

Also from the front page, I listen to many different types of music, but most often end up with Norwegian jazz saxophone player, Jan Gabarek, his album with the Hilliard Ensemble.

Let's hear it ( :D )!

Lars
John Waters

Re: Castinbg practice and music

Post by John Waters »

Yep, Stones and AC/DC. Perfect for all occasions.

John
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Lars,

Thanks for the intro to Gabarek! I did not recognize the name, but I am listening to him now (but not practicing casting). I now realize I have heard him before playing with Keith Jarrett.

(BTW... my parrot prefers sax players... loves Coltrane... and he is peeking in the window as I type and listen... he looks like I am torturing him) :D

When casting I like the tempo of "Southern" (aka Redneck) Rock. Give Gov't Mule a try!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Carol

Post by Carol »

Today was Bela Fleck. It started off with The River. That was good but eventually turned into something like improv bluejazz that only increased the irritation I was feeling with a cast I’m struggling with. That’s when I might turn to Paul Winter — old stuff but still really good. Overall, it depends on my mood and what I’m working on.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

What lovely tastes of music you all have.
Mangrove - Gabarek is quite amazing, I really enjoy his playing. Coltrane is a legend and I enjoy him too. I think some redneck-rock would be good, actually. I'll check out Gov't Mule if you check out Black Stone Cherry :-).

Carol - Bela Fleck is brilliant. I came to know his music through his long time bassist, Victor Wooten, who's an absolute boss on the bass (!). Who would know that jazz and banjo is such a brilliant combination. One of our famous, Danish folk-sing-a-song-writers have once said that a true gentleman is a man who can play the banjo. But refrains from doing so :-).

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D That reminds me of a story my grandfather told me of a Scottish soldier who was badly wounded in WW1. The chaplain said, “I’m sorry son but there is no hope. Do you have any final requests?” He said “yes father, can I hear the bagpipes just one more time?” So they brought in a piper to play up and down the ward, and miraculously the soldier made an immediate recovery… but all the other patients died.

It would be great fun to have a competition casting to music. I like going nuts to guitar solos.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”