PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Quick shots

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

Re: Quick shots

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi everyone-

Thanks for the suggestions. The line I was using the other day was a Rio Elite Flats Pro which should be good in the heat. It also seems to tangle more than others when shooting a lot of line despite no memory coils. I don't wear gloves but it sounds like I should start. "I will also try the KY", he said with a cringe.

Gary, as for our redfish, the area I fish is fairly remote. The fish used to be super friendly and pretty easy targets. However, with the proliferation of tunnel boats with towers, we are infested with idiots who would rather run over the entire flat looking for fish until deciding on an area which they just ran over. It's pitiful. As a result, the fish have become much more sensitive and tougher, although still better than what you face in Fl. Nearly all anglers here who venture out with a fly rod like to wade. I may get out of the boat, at times, if the bottom is hard, but I prefer staying on the boat. We tend to get a fair amount of wind, so looking for them while drifting can be fun, but requires a certain competency with the cast. It's a tougher game that doesn't seem to appeal to many others in the area. Here's a pic from the other day.
redfish screenshot.png
Paul-you might want to try orienting the ribs differently to fit the grip you're using. In the case of switching grips during the stroke, that obviously becomes tougher, but anyone capable of switching grips is probably pretty good with tracking and staying in the same plane.

I also figured out some of my tracking issues.
rod path eye line.png
rod path eye line.png (24.08 KiB) Viewed 635 times

The offset point of view was causing me to track to the right causing a zigzag layout when throwing a heavy fly or long distance. The new point of view has helped a great deal

Thanks
Phil
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Quick shots

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Phil, casting off to the side definitely causes tracking issues. Nice red! Not sure about the hand hold!!

Just got some liquid through the post today. It appears that it has the same or similar viscosity to the Shoot product that we sold in the past. Now I need to test it on lines. This is where the proof of the pudding lies because some products have dried out the lines prematurely in the past. For example most of the stuff for car upholstery appears to react against the flyline lubricants.

I suspect KY jelly is similar to fly floatants and not line lubricants. Anyone looking for an industrial supply of floatant should look to treadmill lubricant. I have litres of this stuff sent as samples. I’ll check the CST if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”