PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

To MCI or not to MCI. That is my question.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Carol
Answers: 0

Re: To MCI or not to MCI. That is my question.

Post by Carol »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:32 am I’m sure that you can get plenty of work in Colorado.
One would think, right? But it would seem that most fly anglers in this county think they can cast. Some can, most definitely. Most can't, don't know they can't, think they can, or don't want to spend time improving. I'm sure you've all seen that. How do you awaken and motivate people to go on the [sometimes] arduous journey of improving?

You all have testified that offering free lessons doesn't work. What should a new CI do? Should she/he charge $20 USD/session?
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know casting instructor rates over there but I would imagine higher. When I first passed my exams 25 years ago it was suggested to me that I charge £20/hr. I think it would be worth approaching local tackle shops. You’re also in a fortunate position to be a women when it comes to teaching other women. “Women only day, max 8 students. $100/head.” For example.

It can be very difficult to know what to charge. I would have a look around to see the US rates for casting lessons. That’s what I did when I re-structured my Malaysian guiding rates.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:26 pm
Just ask yourself if you enjoy casting, teaching and improving your own casting skills. And if so, just use the MCI parameters as a guide for your continued journey. Think of it as a preexisting structure to help you on your path. What I would not suggest is setting a date. That way you can pick up or stall as you wish.

The MCI is just another step. Believe me, there is a $hit ton more to learn afterwards. Thankfully, it is a never ending challenge... fly casting that is. And years after your MCI (if you go that route) you will look back and wonder why it seemed so hard. :laugh:
Do you think there should be more elements of salt water fly casting on the test, or that possibly there should be another test for saltwater adaptations? There are so many differences between throwing a heavy rod and a trout rod. There is even a big difference between 8 and 12wts. In the little teaching I have done, I find people intimidated by the heavier equipment which causes them to try to overpower casts with the rod hand. Throwing a side arm vertical loop, side arm horizontal loop that doesn't kick too bad, the underneath loop, judging distance when shooting line, into the wind variations, casting heavy flies on big rods, shooting heads, long leaders, sinking lines, quick casts, long casts with only the head plus a few feet out of the rod tip, backcasts to targets with big rods, Paul's Snakehead shots and much more are some examples.

Thanks
Phil
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve heard that criticism but think it’s largely unfounded, Phil. There are SW casts - casting off a skiff and walk wading the flats. The Belgian cast used for heavy flies (at least that’s how it’s taught by many). Roll Cast pickup – with a Popper - ok that’s not strictly SW but it’s not light line either. The primary reason, I believe, for the tackle being 5-7 weight is to standardise the distances. There are a lot of MCIs down in Florida who have been very instrumental in the development of the CICP. I agree lots of MCIs probably don’t know much about SW fishing, but the reverse applies too. Hell some MCIs don’t seem to know much about fishing full stop! :p

From my perspective when I began as an instructor all my students were reservoir (stillwater) anglers. And nowadays they are mostly SW anglers. Most river trout fishers don’t bother learning to cast effectively.

I agree most people try to “overpower” heavier tackle. But the same applies to light tackle as well! :D I do think that the same fly casting mechanics applies to short rods, long rods, heavy tackle, light tackle.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”