PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The badly maligned Wiggle cast

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

Re: The badly maligned Wiggle cast

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Depends who you"re hanging around with I suppose. I have answered to more than my share over the years. Gary McCord, announcer for CBS in the US coined me the Giant Panda at one point. One of my favorites was growing up on the baseball team where my nickname was Tow Truck because of my blazing speed...LOL
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Big fella ( tow truck), I am glad my self-indulgence hit the right note. If ever you are over the pond and near to Fotheringhay where Mary Queen of Scots lost her head... (we treat women with a bit more respect these days!) , Though Gawd only knows why you would, we are the center of nowhere, You are quite welcome to wade our wee brook and wiggle to your hearts content.

There's a spare 6' 2wt and silk line in the rack for any of the Sexyloops family who'd like to give it a try.
Though by the size of you I think you may have a struggle with some of the low-hanging trees!

I've been down there today working on the redds, as the nuptials approach we have to help the Ladies out with a bit with loosening up the gravels and ridding them of some of the silt built up from agricultural runoff and lack of flow levels to flush the system through.
( I could have done with someone called tow tuck!)
Loose clean gravel is much kinder on those lovely tails and if we can up the percentage of successful egg hatches with clean speculation of fresh water then that's eventually more trout to say " Hello you! , Nice to meet you, now here you go gently back into the brook , Hope to see you again in a year or two!"

I think we've neglected this maintenance in past seasons in my own particular favorite stretch and parr marked juveniles have been missing in the catch records ( unless our growth rates have improved).

The next months will see more work on the redds, then cutting down some bankside trees and anchoring them into the banks as silt traps and fry habitat.
Coppicing other bankside trees and using the brash to bind into twig bundles ( called faggots) which we anchor in the stream as flow deflectors. Monitoring the Redds.
Then clearing up some of the wilder overhanging brambles and wild roses that aren't any value of cover for the trout .... but live on a diet of fly lines, tippets, and any flys that have been shop bought or spent more than 15 mins creating. So fishing is more productive and fun( have to consider the members!!)

And then finally before the season starts digging up Ranunculus weed and replanting it through the areas that the swans have decimated to build up the invertibrate habitat. sadly these wild trout streams in modern Britain take some looking after!

Then start catching fish on a mission to boost the catch returns and collect scale samples to take away any chance that the "lets stock some farmed fish to supplement the wilds" brigade of vandals are given any credence.
So if anyone wants a go at boosting the catch returns that are more than welcome and you know what?! If your are used to big waters and wild open spaces the counterpoint of Fisshing the kind of place that Issac Walton wrote about is quite refreshing.
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Copy of L1000272.JPG
Where you can wiggle to your hearts content!
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

That is a beautiful stream. I must admit, having never tried a 6ft 2 wt with a silk line, that it strikes my fancy to have a wiggle with that outfit...... :p :p :p

Return to “Flycasting”