PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Trend to heavier fly lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Trend to heavier fly lines

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah right, all casting. That makes sense then! I know many fly fishers who can overhead cast but not roll cast. Many who can spin but not fly cast. They’re all different strokes… but they are all strokes!

As I said somewhere earlier, it’s generally much quicker and easier to teach a racket sportsman to flycast than a spin angler. I don’t think that means that swinging a tennis racket is similar to forming a loop but instead that the muscle memory from spinning inhibits the fly cast.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Tangled
Answers: 0

Post by Tangled »

The difference is that there's literally no backcast.
With a spinning rod you don't have to worry about what you're doing with the line behind. In fact there can be no line behind you at all.
The cast is only forward.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The lead can certainly be laid back, or thrown in a half or full pendulum and of course there are some parallels in tracking. But I’m more interested in the differences in the forward delivery stroke. In overhead flycasting we usually get the entire length of flyline moving in the direction of the cast before we “speed up and stop”. With the spinning tackle we don’t do this — as can be seen from the techno video you posted earlier, Lasse. Indeed the main difference is that the fly leg is being shaped by the tip path from RSP0 to RSP1 and this is quite foreign to spin anglers.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:41 am Indeed the main difference is that the fly leg is being shaped by the tip path from RSP0 to RSP1 and this is quite foreign to spin anglers.

Cheers, Paul
Paul,

You lost me there. Please explain.

I get the impression you have not used spinning tackle very much?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary,

I haven’t fished a spinner for well over 25 years although I’ve certainly cast the tackle in that time. I was examined in my ability to teach various different spin casts when that was part of the APGAI exams but I think that was just there to keep the Grayling Society happy :laugh: It’s not something I’ve spent much time doing since then but I have taught a lot of spin anglers to flycast.

This is the way I see it: the primary purpose of the Casting Stroke in flycasting is to form a Loop. The tip path during the Casting Stroke shapes the fly leg and whatever happens after RSP shapes the rod leg. The closer the tip travels to SLP during the stroke the straighter the fly leg. That’s where the concept of matching casting arc to rod bend comes in. Significantly, as the amount of carry in the backcast lengthens, the stroke must begin with translation in order to a) get the entire length of flyline moving while b) keeping the tip path straight at the beginning of the stroke.

In spinning tackle we are not shaping a loop but instead throwing the spinner as a projectile. Every spin caster I’ve ever met has tried this in flycasting and a wide loop results. There are two ways of dealing with this 1) teach a variable casting arc, incorporating translation as the stroke lengthens or 2) try to make the flytackle cast more like spin tackle. Ie a brick on a string.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul,

Yes... OK with that... sort of...

Two minor quibbles:

RSP0 -> RSP1 @~ SLP gives a straight fly leg. Fine.

But RSP1 -> MCF -> RSP2 does not affect the rod leg... only what happens after RSP2?

And... do you think all spinning casts are lobs?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Tangled wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:34 am The difference is that there's literally no backcast.
With a spinning rod you don't have to worry about what you're doing with the line behind. In fact there can be no line behind you at all.
The cast is only forward.
Nope, but thanks for making it clear you don't cast a spinning rod 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:28 am Ah right, all casting. That makes sense then! I know many fly fishers who can overhead cast but not roll cast. Many who can spin but not fly cast. They’re all different strokes… but they are all strokes!

As I said somewhere earlier, it’s generally much quicker and easier to teach a racket sportsman to flycast than a spin angler. I don’t think that means that swinging a tennis racket is similar to forming a loop but instead that the muscle memory from spinning inhibits the fly cast.

Cheers, Paul
I just say it once more, most spinfishers are crap at throwing. They can just throw their mistakes far enough to not give a damn, or so they say... equivalent to "I can't cast, but I catch fish", retoric from flyanglers...

A racket player have learned to move the head pretty straight at the ball...

And no, delivery cast in overhead, roll, spey and spin is pretty much the same, rotate a bendy lever through an arc.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

Personally, I don’t mind spin fishers. It’s not as if they are using a bung 😂😂
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

Lasse wrote:Nope, but thanks for making it clear you don't cast a spinning rod 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
I do cast a spinning rod Lasse, but like you and everyone else, I don't have to cast a 30' of line behind me or in a D loop to to do it.

Return to “Flycasting”