PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Trend to heavier fly lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

Re: Trend to heavier fly lines

Post by Phil Blackmar »

My two boys grew up sight fishing fore red fish with spinning rods from age 6. They then moved into plugging rods later on and now throw both. Neither has had an fly casting instruction from me or anyone else, but they have watched me waffle about with a fly rod over the years. I did teach them at an early age to throw the spinning tackle with a predominantly all wrist motion and a vertical rod with the hand, elbow and shoulder inline for accuracy. I also showed them how to feather the lure with the index finger against the spool for a quieter entry.

Occasionally I will convince them to join me in a fly casting session and both have beautiful double hauls and the tightest backcast loops with 80 ft of carry I've seen. They can each throw around 100 ft without ever practicing.

Three takeaways for me from this example-1. It's easier to teach kids than adults. 2. Learning from watching and emulating is easier for most people than being told what to do or feel and 3. There are many similarities between spin or plug casting when done properly and casting a fly rod properly.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Generally speaking children can be taught spinning from an early age. Six or even earlier. That is also the age I started. Flycasting we normally say they can start at 10 or 11. There are exceptions of course. I learned flycasting initially by fishing the reservoirs and watching other people cast. I also read some books.

There are lots of similarities but I wouldn’t say they were the same stroke. It’s the differences that are also interesting.
46DBBE81-8286-4C69-92EF-5A6992AFAEB8.jpeg
46DBBE81-8286-4C69-92EF-5A6992AFAEB8.jpeg (28.16 KiB) Viewed 893 times
B90031F7-D913-4FFA-B74C-34135A699982.jpeg
B90031F7-D913-4FFA-B74C-34135A699982.jpeg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

The problem with there’s discussions is that there’s a tendency to mix up mechanics and technique. There’s some subtleties in the design of a fly line to do with turnover and tension that’s not apparent in the mono of a spinner or plug; however, if you are going to fire a projectile on a ballistic trajectory a long way, a nice long straight barrel to accelerate your projectile is going to be very useful, regardless of its aerodynamic properties. I guess the fish are not going to be worried about good turnover and delicate presentation when up to 4 ounces of metal comes hurtling out of the sky.

Regards

Vince
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Interesting that the difference in your two casts overlay there Paul, is purely that your lift is four as fast as your follow down 🙂

Started fishing at 4, my kids started earlier... guess its a damn good thing they wheren't born in the UK 🤣

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

And they could fly fish at 4?

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:55 pm And they could fly fish at 4?
No, did I say that?

Robyn at 3 years and 11 months, she needed some help drilling on the twohander 😉
DSC_0013.jpg
Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s fantastic :cool:

But if they could spin cast then surely they could fly cast?

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Casting and fishing, two different things 😉
They both enjoy swinging a fly in the river, but would rather spinfish as it produces more fish, especially with natural bait under a bubblefloat 😉
And they love a short heavy head when flycasting, those light long lines are really crap for tiny not so strong arms and wrists, but one needs to have taught kids with an open mind to realise stuff like that. Seen enough certified instructors at shows practically tearing kids shoulders while "instructing" them to throw 30 feet of light plastic line, that they themselves need a 4 foot stroke to do, hard when the pupil only has a 3 foot one... but I digress...

What is the difference between my spin cast stroke in the video on yiur average switchcast/jumproll cast?

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

What is the difference between my spin cast stroke in the video on yiur average switchcast/jumproll cast?
Is spin casting like overhead casting to you or roll casting?

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Its all casting..

I am trying to figure out the "no backcast in spinfishing" myth, and as far as I can tell, you're looking at the holes in the cheese.
Humor me, what are the differences in me aligning my casting weight in that clip and me aligning my casting weight in this clip here:

Or this clip

Disregard the angle change, and just focus on the backcast stroke, or sweep into the D loop 🙂

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting”