PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Stopless.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Stopless.

Post by VGB »

Morning Paul
We are not trying to deepen the bend in the rod. Instead of trying to deepen the bend, imagine that you are trying to cast the rod without bending it.
I never monitor rod bend, I honestly couldn’t tell you how much it occurs in any cast. Mostly, I’m watching the fly leg and looking for straightness as an indication of the quality of the stroke.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Vince,

sorry I misread “more bend in your knees” for “more bend in your rod” :laugh:

Anyway the feeling of trying to keep the bend out of the rod is a good one. I do that and I’ve heard the same from a few outstanding 170 distance casters I know. For me it feels like I’m trying to float the line out there.

A really useful exercise is to get to your maximum carry and then slow everything down to see how slow you can make the stroke.

I’m very interested to know how the side stroke works for you. Going from the horizontal to the vertical by arching the back has been working very well for me in remote teaching this past 18 months. To the point where I now introduce it at the beginning.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul
sorry I misread “more bend in your knees” for “more bend in your rod” :laugh:

It happens more and more after a certain age :D :D

I think that the frisbee will work in the side cast but I will start to get impingement as I bring the cast over the top. I do the slow down drills for every cast because I’m looking to trade speed for accuracy of movement in every cast. My long line carry has improved a lot in the last couple of month.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that the frisbee will work in the side cast but I will start to get impingement as I bring the cast over the top
It’s possible, I don’t know. It feels very very similar to me. But there might be a small difference. For me it is the core that orientates the elbow to the vertical and not the shoulder. I don’t have any videos shot from directly behind but I will try to sort something out. I’ll take a rod with me into town today.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

For me it is the core that orientates the elbow to the vertical and not the shoulder.
Not in the side cast. There's a lot going on in your shoulder, the physio used to check mobility by getting me to put the back of my hand on my arse and then bend my elbow to get the knuckles to track up the coccyx and spine. To start with, I couldn't get my hand to the starting line, today it is the small of my back.

Regards

Vince

VGB

Post by VGB »

I don't have the time to do a Tracker plot but the movement of the elbow coming down in a short space of time due to pulling down and the rod and body movement can be seen with respect to some nice vertical (base of the posts and pitch line) and vertical (posts and floodlights) reference points in the background. Note the angle change of the rod butt in this time:
Mike D.jpg

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Vince, I understand. I cast the difference on the roof last night. The “force” on the 170 is straightening the forearm, which feels like a release. I switched from Mike’s lower stance to my own, between backcasts at max carry. It’s all done by moving the core around.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:39 am Anyway the feeling of trying to keep the bend out of the rod is a good one. I do that and I’ve heard the same from a few outstanding 170 distance casters I know. For me it feels like I’m trying to float the line out there.
I digress - when wouldn't I? - but is this a particularity of the 170, or does it also hold for when you go for max. carry with closed or open technique?
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
I really like Bernt Johansson style and what I love about it- he is getting results.
I tried and it also works for me.
Our movements won't be identical, but I see some similarities. I did two photographs merge, just to point the elbow drop.

The first photo merge is Bernt and his back cast during a fantastic 45.1m PUALD cast and my latest cast and Vince's frame shot. In this frame my hands are already moving apart

The 2nd merge is where I just dropped the elbow and that look ( for me) very similar to the champ position when he dropped his elbow.
Still working on it, but learning from the best.
Cheers
Mike
Attachments
image.jpg
image (2).jpg
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:28 pm Hi Vince, I understand. I cast the difference on the roof last night. The “force” on the 170 is straightening the forearm, which feels like a release. I switched from Mike’s lower stance to my own, between backcasts at max carry. It’s all done by moving the core around.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul

I did the same but in a muddy field in an inconsistent wind. Subjectively, I got similar results in terms of line speed but there is less stress in my rod arm, probably because I open my grip much earlier.

I'm not in danger of challenging Mike or Bernt :D but it has been a step up for me. Looking at the frames Mike has put up, I'm hauling way too early on the backcast.

Regards

Vince

Return to “Flycasting”