PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

#4 Distance

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

#4 Distance

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

I've had a go with a long headed #4 to see how far i can throw it. What would you say would be a good distance if 120' with the MED5 in flat calm conditions was the benchmark?

All the best

Nick

Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Dirk le Roux

Re: #4 Distance

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Very nice casting, Nick!

Did you try the MED too in the same session? After having cast only the MED on grass for months, your clip inspired me yesterday to give my old favourite shorter head #5 a go. I was pleasantly surprised by the distances I could now get on the old line and a bit miffed that I could afterwards not really better that with the MED.

All the best,
Dirk
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Dirk,

You are too kind! Yes I had a go with the MED and the ballistic 5 in the same session. The wind wasn’t great, a cross wind from the left and the right was quite problematic and stifled the distances.

The MED is a funny one, as you’ll know, it certainly doesn’t work properly if the carry isn’t 80’ +. I managed 119’ in that session. How are you getting on with it? 🙂

Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Great casting Nick. :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Hi Nick

I find getting longer carries on the MED to be less easy than I was expecting with a long belly line. I can keep a few strokes of carry at 75' (made a little bump there with Solarez Flex) but can go past that for only maybe one back cast, then shoot. So, I don't yet know about the #5 MED working better on longer than 80' carries. As it is, calm wind shoots sometimes go over 120', which I am happy with (the odd one doing so even from the flipflop stroke, Paul!). I play around a lot with ways of distance casting using less dramatic body motion, which may later get somewhat reintroduced in a more controlled manner. Backing off on exertion has comfortably added to my previous distances. The MED enabled me to go there by the belief that it carries a longer line more comfortably. Now, with my old standard 90' #5 WF I once found the backing in my line hand even before the shoot!

The point, and yours possibly, is I think I needed the MED to get beyond previous blocks, and now it is not only with the MED that I can get there. Maybe I should just move that Solarez bump to 85 ' and see if that carry is achievable for me. That should certainly help quash the still too recurrent sag of MED between backing knot and strip guide.

yes-verdomp.jpg
yes-verdomp.jpg (111.86 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

All the best,
Dirk
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Nick

Nice casting
nicholasfmoore wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:08 pm The MED is a funny one, as you’ll know, it certainly doesn’t work properly if the carry isn’t 80’ +
Are there any theories on why this behaviour occurs with the MED, I guess it's taper related? I couldn't stomach paying £85 on a line that I wouldn't fish with and practice with GT120/140 and occasionally the ballistic.

Regards

Vince
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I believe it’s because you want the head positioned at the top of the loop with no rear taper in the loop. Then the loop morphs more dramatically and forms sharper points. It depends on your stroke, the length of your arms and even when you release, but I notice the difference for me begins at around 86’.

The good news is that once you’ve passed that point it becomes easier again.

120’ is a hell of a hell of a 5’ Flipflop cast!!! Man I bet that’s a sexy looking loop!!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Thanks Paul, I think it’s a case of understanding what “working properly” means. I guess it’s a function of casting into the overhang?

Regards

Vince

Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:18 pm The good news is that once you’ve passed that point it becomes easier again.
That provides some hope :whistle: I'm intrigued Paul, how you can determine the carry so precisely? And like Vince, I suppose, I am curious about some indicators of what "working properly" beyond 80' or 86' carry looks like?
Paul Arden wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:18 pm 120’ is a hell of a hell of a 5’ Flipflop cast!!! Man I bet that’s a sexy looking loop!!
124`, Yes, sexy. Must say that one felt like a bit of a fluke. I mostly get the Flipflops around 10' to 15' less. To me it is a very sensitive stroke, the way I do the Flipflop delivery. When you hit everything just right, the line goes scary energetic! I'm practising it some more to see if I can get it consistently at that level.

All the best,
Dirk
VGB

Post by VGB »

I am curious about some indicators of what "working properly" beyond 80' or 86' carry looks like?
My money is on it being like a long brick on a string :D

Return to “Flycasting”