PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Jim Green Secrets of Flycasting 1975

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

George C
Answers: 0

Jim Green Secrets of Flycasting 1975

Post by George C »

For those who have not seen this I think you might enjoy it.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Jim Green Secrets of Flycasting 1975

Post by Paul Arden »

Looks very much like pull-back to me!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

Also some prescient insights on backcast deceleration/drift transitioning into a near stopless motion.
And a good discussion/demonstration of using hand closure and the palm to block the rod butt during delivery.
Stuff on the genesis of tailing loops (although he struggles to demonstrate them).
An accurate description of haul timing ( at least a better one than inferred by Kreh's videos).
Discussion of the importance of tension (even if a lot of his short casts neglect to reinforce it).
There is a lot in this film that I wish I'd learned 35 years ago when I first picked up a flyrod.
Not to mention the idea of practicing from a dock on a pond full of pet trout. I love the rises in the background while he's talking,
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep I don’t believe it’s stop/drift as he describes. What I think he is actually doing is blocking the forearm and then flipping the wrist as part of the casting stroke. Otherwise he would be hauling during Drift (!) because he is certainly hauling as he opens his wrist on the backcast.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

He definitely believes in pushing with the thumb!
FFI - CCI

Return to “Flycasting”