PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Rod Tapers — Graphite, Fiberglass, and Bamboo

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Fly Rod Tapers — Graphite, Fiberglass, and Bamboo

Post by Paul Arden »

They’re for fishing Ron. This could be a long complicated answer but a difference is apparent between the 6 and the 7. I talk about that here https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... ine-weight
Basically a 6 is an all-round short to long casting nymph/dry/light streamer rod. Has to be excellent at short-lining. A 7 on the other hand moves more to plugging the banks with streamers.
You can skew an action towards distance or short line fishing. For me it changes around the 6&7 line number. They will all throw short and all throw long… but you can optimise feel/performance for mostly short or mostly long.

Stick a heavier/lighter line on the rod and you destroy all intentions of course. There are no controls over that :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin
Answers: 0

Post by Merlin »

Hi Rienhard

That's OK for amateur rod building, but not for commercial purposes. If you consider a series of rods of given action, with the same material selection, then each rod (line #, length) has its set of mandrels.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Do beginner casters normally like slow action rods? I thought it was the opposite — but I’m teaching a friend who had never cast a fly rod. After each lesson he practices daily for a week. I have let him try several of my graphite rods. The one he finds easiest to cast is an old 8 1/2’ bamboo rod that he owns….

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Ron,

Speed is relative of course but generally yes, and specifically if they can’t yet double haul. However a slow rod today is actually a quite fast rod of yesterday. But of course it also depends very much upon the line because that’s really the dominating factor and it’s comparison to rod stiffness.

Hell I prefer slower rods compared to some of today’s lineup :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Hi Paul,

Yes I agree with it's all relative. So to clarify -- fast to me means that the rod barely bends when you throw a line (with the weight it has marked on it) 40 feet and slow means it bends way down into the butt with the same length of the same weight line. I have a very new (2022) graphite rod (by a major, well respected manufacturer) that has a #5 marked on it. I think it's fast with a 6 weight (which I prefer on it). This beginner student likes his old cheap bamboo rod that is so limp it bends down into the cork with 40' of 6 weight line and he has it strung with a 9 weight! He loves it and can actually cast it way better than he can cast my new graphite rod. The only thing I can think of is that he is moving it through a wide arc and the greater bend is causing the tip path to be straighter than it would be with a faster rod.

Maybe I answered my own question....

Are your still in training?

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

“The only thing I can think of is that he is moving it through a wide arc and the greater bend is causing the tip path to be straighter than it would be with a faster rod.”

Exactly my understanding too.

“Are your still in training?”

For Ironman? Yes I have another next month and one after that in November. Just had a month of guests and guiding (and a race) so the past month was more maintaining.

Much free again now that I’ve dropped my Tasmanian guests off today.

Can your student double haul? This also makes a difference.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:17 pm
Can your student double haul? This also makes a difference.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul, Sounds like you've been very busy! That's a good thing I suppose ...

No my student can not double haul -- total beginner. He's dedicated but not very coordinated! Just getting him to make the basic casting stroke is a challenge. He wants to join us this fall on a fishing trip so I have a couple of months to get him ready. I think he'll pick it up by then.

Talk soon,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Being able or not to make a double haul has an impact on line weights to rod IMO. Particularly for middle distance. I try to introduce it as early as practically possible but of course it can be very much student dependant. They all get there eventually.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Anyone can learn to double haul in about 20 mins 😎 it does depend on the student, though. Try a zinger on the hook keeper ring. I think that’s originally Carlos’s method.

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:11 am Anyone can learn to double haul in about 20 mins 😎 it does depend on the student, though. Try a zinger on the hook keeper ring. I think that’s originally Carlos’s method.
It took me weeks to learn the actions, and months to do it anything like right, I was throwing tailing loops and tangles every other cast.

Return to “Flycasting”