PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

90 degree change Single Spey

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: 90 degree change Single Spey

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great Jarmo. That’s how I see it too. It’s complicated because teaching styles change over the years. When I first learned these casts crashed anchors were the norm!!!

Me personally, while I enjoy these casts I don’t normally fish them with long pickups. Instead I fish the fly out and then do slips and pokes etc. However that said, I do think the best way to learn them is by trying to move around longer lengths of line. They are a fantastic set of casts and one of the cornerstones of flycasting.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

My first efforts at this gave me a single spey 90 degrees out, but the direction of the anchor was systematically incorrect. Today was a whole lot better. What changed was that I aerialized the entire line on the “sweep out.” That seemed to give me sufficient control during the D-loop stroke. (I am practicing on stillwater, so the line is less tight to begin with, and I need to boss the line considerably in-and-out to achieve this.)

Now it’s just a matter of getting my 1000+1000 repetitions.
jarmo

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 am
to dip deep, in which case you risk a crashed anchor.
Dipping only crashes the anchor if you don’t accelerate with a long enough tip path afterwards in the second half of the Sweep.
I played with this a bit and naturally found it to be the case. So there seem to be at least 3 ways to cure crashed anchors: shallower dip, slower start of sweep, and increasing the length of the rising part of the sweep (longer acceleration).
Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 am It’s nice to be discussing Spey Casts! :cool:
Indeed, my favorite form of casting.

Thanks again, learned a lot as usual.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That sounds great mate. I think what I have learned from the aerialised "funk" casting that I do, is that it doesn't matter where the line is in the air, or even what shape it is in, you can always draw it into a D-loop. Dips, waves, snaps, snaps on snaps :p - they all pull straight when forming the D or V with enough purpose.

I have a 90 degree Single Spey variation that starts from an aerielised Snap Cast. When Graeme is over I'll film it and add it to the series. It will be nice to add some new stuff!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:36 pm I think what I have learned from the aerialised "funk" casting that I do, is that it doesn't matter where the line is in the air, or even what shape it is in, you can always draw it into a D-loop. Dips, waves, snaps, snaps on snaps :p - they all pull straight when forming the D or V with enough purpose.
Yes! And I was surprised by this too. Initially I was really worried about the shape of the line when pushing out, and as a result I did it too gently so it did not aerialize completely. Brilliant.

Return to “Single Spey 90”