PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Best THCI line

Moderator: Lee Cummings

VGB
Answers: 0

Best THCI line

Post by VGB »

Hi Lars

If you can only use one line, how do you decide where to compromise?

Regards

Vince
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Best THCI line

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Viking Lars wrote:When it comes to exams, I might recommend the MED for a Masters, but not for a CI - based alone on the fact that it's not particularly well suited for speys and rolls...

Lars
How long do you rollcast other lines then? You've got the longest backhand roll without shooting I've seen, and that was with that not particularly well suited line for rolls and speys :p

In reality, the MED looks and acts very much like most spey lines at the short distances used in the IFFF CI, so I think it works fine :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bernd Ziesche

Best THCI line

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

VGB wrote: If you can only use one line, how do you decide where to compromise?
Hi Vince,
obviously I am not Lars, :) but I'd like to offer my answer as well.
I recommend to compromise in a way the chosen fly line supports the most difficult tasks of the exam best. For example when a candidate struggles on the CI distance. I would not recommend to use the MED but a much shorter head making the shoot easier!

Hi Lasse,
I get my longest static roll cast with a much shorter head. For example the TT (12m) helps me to hit 19 - 21m (depending on wind). The head makes shooting the distance easy for me. Shooting the MED is much harder and simply less effective to me.
Besides that most lines don't differ much in the front as we both know. So it depends on the rolling distance of course.
Anyway I had many candidates who prefered tapers similar to the TT over the MED by far. That matches with Lars his experience....
As an examiner one may always hope for a candidate who is on a level where the chosen line does not matter anymore. But that's not nearly exams reality as I have seen it. For many the line did matter.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
VGB

Best THCI line

Post by VGB »

Cheers Bernd
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Best THCI line

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bernd

Lars did it off shoulder indoors, no shooting...

I agree, shorter heavy head, and shooting, distance becomes easier.

I would actually love to have a candidate where it actually is the gear making the difference between passing or failing, haven't had that yet :) except the guy showing up with an intermediate line, except, he didn't pass the tasks either...

Cheers
Lasse

jarmo
Answers: 1

Re: Best THCI line

Post by jarmo »

Morsie wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:38 pm I lashed out and bought a bunch of different Spey lines in order to get an education.
That is an expensive education indeed. But I appreciate you making the effort because...
Morsie wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:38 pm I have gone back to the In Touch Long head Spey, lovely line.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I got my first one this week and immediately ordered another. It has been quite windy, and I am really impressed by how the Long Head Spey cuts through wind. If one can first point it in the right direction, that is.

Also, roll casting with this line is considerably more productive than with some other ones I have used (esp. XLT).

So, thanks for the tip!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I would actually love to have a candidate where it actually is the gear making the difference between passing or failing, haven't had that yet
I would think that most who have passed AAPGAI and certainly AAPGAI Masters would really struggle to get through the Spey casting requirements with a Double Taper.

Regards the MED and CCI distance, I agree, a shorter head will help those who have problems with tracking or force application and can't carry enough line to turn it over past 75' on the forward shoot. But wouldn't you be better off sorting that stuff out? 75' with a DT6 or DT7 should not exactly be a tall order for a casting instructor. If he can't do that then he really needs some attention. So if this was a student of mine I would sort that out first!

And you know what? The great thing is that the stuff he learns he can then pass on to his students and make the world a better place. :kungfu:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

OK - who veered off-topic? :p

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

Most who has passed AAPGAI would struggle to pass the spey casts on still water as they claim you can't spey cast on it... 😉 If the test is passable with a long belly WF, then a DT shouldn't pose a problem, should it?
After all, it's just a matter of practice 😉

Everyone is looking for the easy way out in the tests or they go ego and use something harder just because, and a few just use whatever.

And I still claim the same, although I have had one more where the gear was making the test harder than it should have been (two, but the other was so far from oassibg that it didn't matter) where showing up with a too short head made trouble in the longer carry.

And yeah, its always better to be better, and have a bigger toolbox and be able to share the knowledge, unfortunately it doesn't happen that often.

Man you went of topic dude 😊

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

You and I passed it with long belly lines, Lasse. But we did make the Spey casting harder for ourselves - and the overhead casting easier. Really we should have done it the other way because the Spey casting requirements are relatively harder.

It is a different skill set to lift and turn around a MED head than it is to pick up a Nymph Taper and spin that around. You and I have no doubt spent years doing that - I know I have. I know I would struggle to do if with a DT. There will be a distance where a long belly WF outperforms a DT.

And no I think it was you who went off topic. :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”