PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Spey handle

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Ulrik
Answers: 0

Spey handle

Post by Ulrik »

Hi all,

Went out for an evening 18-foot spey casting session tonight. I used one of them Zpey 18 footers (not sold anymore).
I quite like the rods personality (stiffness and action curve) but not their durability. I have already broke section 2 a couple of years ago (I now have 1 green section and 3 orange sections) but it works. Or rather, it worked, tonight I broke the handle, the part below the reel. If anybody knows where I can get a new handle (straight or bent doesn't matter), please give me a sign.

Thanks
Ulrik
Previous SL user name The Doc (now Ulrik). For those having difficulties pronouncing my name, Baldric or Oilrig works fine too./Ulrik Röijezon
Lasse Karlsson

Spey handle

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Ulrik

Make it yourself, or get Esa or Stefan to do it, all you need is another reelseat, and a bit of strong rodsection that fits.
Otherwise I think I still have the reelseat from mine somewhere, will have a look.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Ulrik

Spey handle

Post by Ulrik »

Thanks Lasse,

To clarfiy I attach a picture of the missing piece. The handle broke on my 18-footer but I could get the remaining part out of the attachment. Easiest would be to just get a new part that fits the attachment.
If you have a spare one, please bring when you come to Piteå :) .

Best
Ulrik
Attachments
Zpey handle.jpg
Zpey handle.jpg (2.53 KiB) Viewed 10406 times
Previous SL user name The Doc (now Ulrik). For those having difficulties pronouncing my name, Baldric or Oilrig works fine too./Ulrik Röijezon
Lasse Karlsson

Spey handle

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Ulrik

Ok, the one I have isn't detachable, the curve is a Steel rod welded to the butt of the reelseat. I'll take a pic latter when home.

Cheers
Lasse

sms

Spey handle

Post by sms »

Hi Ulrik,

Where did you break it? Did it snap below the reel seat or did the stub come out? It it snapped, you need to get the stub out.

If if snapped, then you need to get some stiff stuff (ie part from some other blank - you can get spinning and trolling rods cheap to apply a little bit of machete) to glue inside the reel seat and build the lower handle on it.

If it came off with stub, you can re-glue, straighten it or use some other stiff stuff to build a straight handle.

Kevin has modified the, IMO crappy, bent originals to straight: http://www.perhokalastajat.net/keskuste ... 29#p321929
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Ulrik

Spey handle

Post by Ulrik »

Hi Sakke,

The story is it snapped, and the stub came out. This means that if I could get my hands on a piece similar to the one that Kevin straighted out I could glue it onto my rod and the rod is cured.
I guess it is not supposed to be detachable, just my handle that was loose (glue failure).

Lasse, is this "non-detachable" handle same/similar to what you have? It may be that it has to be this specific Zpey Comp 18 foot, because it seems to have a specific fitting into the real seat.

BTW: Kevin is a very strange but innovative guy :oh:

Best
Ulrik
sms

Spey handle

Post by sms »

If you do not worry about weight, just use a steel bar (or threaded rod) to extend (use PU glue to get good filling and all over bonding). And build the handle on that.

Or, if you care about weight (and cost):
- measure the hole inside the reel seat (also check that the hole is long enough, preferably giving you 15cm length for glue)
- go to place where they sell cheap (trolling etc) rods
- find one that has the correct diameter to fit into the hole in the reel seat and so that the parts above should fit inside that (so that you wont have the ferrule point diameter inside where you would have the extension)
- cut, strip and fit a part to extend
- cut, strip and fit a part (from higher up of the cheap rod) inside the first extension part to build wall thickness. You can do this several times to get almost solid piece actually
- sand all the extension pieces and glue them inside each other
- either build the butt handle on the extension first and then glue it onto the rod or glue before and build after.

Basically you can use anything that fits inside, is stiff enough and doesn't break easily. I would stay away from aluminium.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Ulrik

Spey handle

Post by Ulrik »

Thanks for the instructions Sakke. Unless I come a cross one of them original handle pieces I will find something stiff to fit into it.

Actually, I realised I have another 18-footer that works quite well. It's a barstool rod built from an MSX BD 15 foot with some extra parts here and there to make it 18 foot and to make it stiffer and to lower the action deeper down the blank. I'll probably use that one for the Swedish Championships this weekend :).

Best
Ulrik
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Spey handle

Post by Paul Arden »

:D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Spey handle

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Ulrik wrote:Hi Sakke,

The story is it snapped, and the stub came out. This means that if I could get my hands on a piece similar to the one that Kevin straighted out I could glue it onto my rod and the rod is cured.
I guess it is not supposed to be detachable, just my handle that was loose (glue failure).

Lasse, is this "non-detachable" handle same/similar to what you have? It may be that it has to be this specific Zpey Comp 18 foot, because it seems to have a specific fitting into the real seat.

BTW: Kevin is a very strange but innovative guy :oh:

Best
Ulrik
Hi Ulrik

Mines the same as the one Kevin straigthened, Should have thoughts about that, would have been alot easier :D

I'll post a pic when I get home from italy :blush:

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”