PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Anchors for Snake Rolls

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Anchors for Snake Rolls

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s a great casting game! That’s my Snakehead shot in one cast with changes of angle and a checked shoot.

Instead of concentrating on slipping line it’s interesting to see how little of the stroke we actually need to hold on to the line in order to make the line go in the direction we want. I think I need to get one of those little release lights that Jim made. The Casting Stroke then becomes the period of time that the line hand grips the line :laugh:

It may be more complicated than this of course because the line is slipped through the hand and no doubt this gives resistance too. So maybe it’s not just on/off but a variable amount of pressure.

I think these are skills that evolve naturally - certainly I’ve never thought about them in detail. The difficulty comes when we try to teach them to accelerate someone’s ability. Then we have to work out what it is exactly that we are doing and try to figure out ways to teach them. That’s the fun part too and I’ve always thought that it makes us better casters as well.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster
Answers: 0

Anchors for Snake Rolls

Post by easterncaster »

Morsie wrote:It is about when you slip, and also how much and what you do immediately afterwards. The exercise of throwing consecutive 3 PULD's as far as you can by picking up only what you got out on the previous cast teaches us a lot of slipping pickups and slipping line under control at what could be called "inappropriate moments".
^ A drill that has given me no end of entertainment over the years !
Michael Rebholz

Anchors for Snake Rolls

Post by Michael Rebholz »

these "air consistent" anchors are very interesting and i have to pay atttention (to raise awareness 7/10 - agreed with 100%)
and film this to see. I find filming casting and watching closely helps me a lot to get a better aproach to this.
The way i look at it is more in form of loop morphs somewhere between an Anchorcast (Speycast) and the belgium or oval cast (btw the oval cast is not unsimilar but more open to the Gebethsroiter or austrian style where elliptical rod paths are made.
Somewhere in between there seems to be a configuration that makes the casts work and i think is has to do with something similar to what Ed Ward refers to constant tension casting in his skagit styles and they work fine.

Indeed i also have the feeling the the thinking of speycasting only in casting planes is not really complete because of so many circular movements that do load and make casts though their not always perfectly aligned or anchored.

Whats the sum of all possible rod paths altogether? Its not a casting plane - its a half bowl. And that is the direction and dimension i try to think through this speycasting mularkey - just another approach. I find it a lot easier to deal with once you get used to these disturbing thoughts.

I noticed that these air consistant anchors work through Bonkerspey as well, and i only realize this now as i read this topic here. Thats brilliant to have the chance to be here and discuss. thanks for that

and tight lines

Michael
Bernd Ziesche

Anchors for Snake Rolls

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

In regard of air consistent anchors I like this video showing some interesting effects:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9dCAArrK1k
Regards Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Anchors for Snake Rolls

Post by Paul Arden »

When I make the Snap-lift Switch I snap over the lift instead of under (under is the snap-z). By snapping over the top and then cutting underneath the line as I believe has more Tension (because you can really drive the Snap, much more than with the Z). This makes it far easier to aerielise the “anchor” because it has momentum opposite the D. It’s also sexier. In fact it’s a far better cast all around. :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Michael Rebholz

Anchors for Snake Rolls

hi morsie,

lenght of anchor 1 to 3 ft of flyline and the leader, if u have 15 ft long leader (which is long) maybe only a portion or the leader itself)

I practice and recommend trying this:

When your practicing forward speys, ( switchcasts) dont even watch your loops, watch only your anchor and try to morph it from to big (big splash white mouse) into to small (skipping anchors) and then zero yourself in between where its just right.
I practice a lot of faults - casting faults right on demand - in my opinion a far better way to find the exact amount for the right thing in between.

considering the airconsistent anchors or whatever u call them they do work, yes, Paul mentions an elevated position to make them easier...
Here s what i think and this kinda thinking i think is new to flycasting: its about synchronising frequencies, i will have to do a video about this to explain this a little bit easier
anyway these air consistent anchors are in my understanding something like half amplitude of the full frequency which would be a fully extended line (in a backcast for example) my technical english is badest to express these kind of things but what the water contact does in this type of thinking is stop the frequency and build it up again instead of "swinging it through" and pulling it straight in an airconsistant anchor cast.

yeah i know thats weird and i hope to get the chance to explain what i mean in a video shortly. I m also on a bonkerspey mission and bonkerspey is actually what brought me to this new type of thinking. And its not only about synchronising frequencies its also about that flycasting takes place in a 3 dimensional sphere if you so want.

now back to morsies question for the ideal anchor:
in this type of thinking u r looking for the longest possible frequency of line (and probably (SL) rod path if looking for distance) and the anchor size that shocks your flycasting system the least while at the same time giving u enough line stick to intrupt the incoming frequency and build up a new one for the forward cast. the flatter every thing "dloops" the more energy in it but also the most difficult to time.

Hope this helps and is not too crazy, but watching the anchors while practicing and not the loops will definitely help. Works everytime for me.

cheers and tight lines

Michael
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Anchors for Snake Rolls

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s actually very interesting how little contact you need to make with the line. It’s maybe not correct to say that there are two short contact points on for example a PUALD Snakehead shot, because line is being slipped under tension. But when it really comes down to it most of the time we hold line around (and even during) the casting stroke we can be slipping line.

I would have to video the aerielised SS to know exactly what I’m doing. These things “just happen” and develop over time. It’s only when you try teaching the stuff do I actually discover what I’m doing. And then when you do try to teach them they seem incredibly complicated. I mean for example how do you teach someone to slip line at the start of the forward stroke in an overhead cast and then only catch it with a short haul on the forward cast, and release line both before the haul has completed as well as before the stroke has finished? I know that’s what I’m doing on these casts because I’ve seen it in slow mo. The only way I can do it is to come up with contact points when the line hand touches or hails the line.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Anchors for Snake Rolls

Post by Paul Arden »

(That was a reply to Morsie! I’ll have to have a think about your post Michael! :D )

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Michael Rebholz

Anchors for Snake Rolls

hi bernd,

that is a cool video.

hi paul,

i truly hope we can meet up in september and have a throw or two. I totally dont understand what u r saying and thats why u ll have to show me :D pls

isnt it wonderful to think about flycasting - so simple and so complex at the same time -
you say these things just happen - and i agree, they do and its awesome.
but teaching them makes you think about it in another way more systematical and approachable. I hope to do some videos shortly too about this frequency thing - it s not difficult at all i just cant describe it well yet but some footage will help - if it wasnt only so hard to get good footage.

cheers and tight lines

michael
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Anchors for Snake Rolls

Post by Paul Arden »

That will be great Michael :laugh: Ok I use an aerielsed version of the Single Spey / COD Belgian Cast, where I start by using 1-2m of flyline outside the tip and deliver to say up to around 18m on the forward cast. For this to work line has to be slipped as much as possible at various points on the back sweep. The fly is a popper.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”