PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Spey to Overhead ratings

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Spey to Overhead ratings

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:36 am Many however have different rod actions for Spey vs Overhead, preferring more tip action overhead and butt action for Spey casts.

Cheers, Paul
Which, I think, is why they want lighter lines for overhead casting with a given rod ... The rod bends less with lighter line.

Morsie, wouldn't you have a bunch of 350 - 450 grain single hand lines lying around to test with?

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The rod bends less with lighter line.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Doesn't bother me but if people are after that type of feeling in their rod, they can get it with a lighter head than the one they'd use for spey casting.

You said earlier in this thread that you don't like the "brick on the string" feeling with single hand rods and lines designed specifically for spey casting on those rods, so I'm supposing that you would probably choose the lighter head too.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sure but I don’t think making a dynamic roll cast ever feels the same as making a long overhead cast and neither feels the same as making an overhead shooting head cast.

Instead I think the three techniques all have their own unique personal “optimised” feel configurations. Most people can’t even agree on line weights for overhead casting. There might be agreement on instructors Spey casting grain weighs in one part of the world but we know that there is a difference between US and European casters choices.

Sage went as far as to have two models, one for the US and the other for European. When I talked with Simon about lines for a TCR1510 that I had, he suggested two lines, one that he liked and one for people who liked it to feel faster. In fact he was fairy certain I wouldn’t like his personal choice - and he was right! :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Graeme H wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:41 pm The rod bends less with lighter line.

Cheers,
Graeme
That depends on the caster, not the line...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:43 pm
Graeme H wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:41 pm The rod bends less with lighter line.

Cheers,
Graeme
That depends on the caster, not the line...

Cheers
Lasse
Yeah, okay, I get that, but for any given caster ...

(I'm not going to get in a "pinch caster" when I want to fish a different part of the beach. :D )
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:30 am Sure but I don’t think making a dynamic roll cast ever feels the same as making a long overhead cast and neither feels the same as making an overhead shooting head cast.

Cheers, Paul
A good spey delivery, a good overhead longbelly delivery and a good shootinghead delivery all feels very similar to me, it's just throwing a piece of string after all :blush:

And seriously, even different parts of scandinavia can't agree on a grain weight for a given rod, which is just the same, as Bruce said, there is not, have not and probably never will be a rod rating system.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yeah but everything feels the same for you Lasse :p Cast the same line on widely different rod stiffnesses and you’ll say it’s all one!

But I agree with you (for once). I cast Ulrik’s DHD overhead set up in Estonia. I found it very soft. I think in Norway I threw Magnus’ one year. Poker. Two guys, same team, same line specs. Totally different setups for the same event. In fact I have no idea how Ulrik does what he does with what he has. It’s incredible to watch, but after casting his gear I’m like WTF? :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”