PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Overhead Casting Issues

Moderator: Lee Cummings

carlz
Answers: 0

Re: Overhead Casting Issues

Post by carlz »

I would bump up the rod strength for the line (I didn't see this mentioned) if you are spey casting the line with a 7wt rod, try overhead casting with an 8wt.
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi

@Carlz

I have 3 DH rods to choose from: a #7, an #8 and an #8/9. The rod I used today was the #8.

@Paul

I do actually have a DH reel that’s spooled up with a 0,038” coated shooting line from Rio. I will give that a try next time, and see what happens.

Thanks again.

/Bendix
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi again

I just thought I would wrap this up, with the solution I came up with.

After a lot of practice on the lawn, and re-watching a DH casting DVD I have, I think I’ve found the best way to do this cast.

I start with the rod tip low, as in a few inches above the grass (water). I then make an accelerated lift in to a high backcast. When I make my forward cast, I sort of “pull” the butt of the rod into my stomach, creating a high and abrupt forward stop. The line then seems to unroll nicely, with a relatively tight loop, and I then lower the rod, when the line is almost straight in the air, and the fluff lands nice and soft on the ground.

Anyway, this seems to be the way to go.

/Bendix
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

I recently cracked myself around the head and smacked my right eyeball without glasses on while practising my overheads, shit it hurt, thought it was all over for that eye for a while - won't do that again, but it certainly gets your attention. I put it down to a tracking issue with my bc going slightly wide and therefore coming in at me on the fc (180 rule again) - I reckon I was slightly changing planes. Also any slack in the rod leg exacerbates the problem. Really focused on getting that bc straight behind. Canting the rod is also helpful.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi

Sorry to hear that.

During the past weeks, I have been fishing a lot with my DH rod, by a long stretch of my local Salmon river, that runs along a golf-course. And quite often, I’ll hear a golf player shout out “FORE” as he makes a bad shot. And that has lately got me thinking, that at least as Flyfishers, we don’t have to shout out “FORE”, whenever we make a terrible cast… That would make me loose my voice some days!!!

But anyway, all the practice I did this past winter has worked, and I now do not struggle all that much with my overhead casting with my DH. So I’m quite satisfied with that.

/Bendix

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”