PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Scandi style with a downstream wind??

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Morsie
Answers: 0

Scandi style with a downstream wind??

Post by Morsie »

From what I've seen on youtube "Scandi style" seems to be confined to a variation of the single spey, ie its a stylised and modified upstream wind cast. I've not seen anyone demonstrate what "Scandi style" casters cast do when there's a downstream wind. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
bartdezwaan

Re: Scandi style with a downstream wind??

Post by bartdezwaan »

I always thought the “scandi style” had more to do with the tackle as opposed to being a special cast. (Short) shooting heads and rods that bend deep with a relatively stiff tip.
Let’s see what others have to say about this.

Cheers, Bart
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi

I agree with Bart.

Scandi style has more to do with the shooting heads being used, rather than the actual casting.

But just like Bart says, it will be interesting to hear what others have to say.

/Bendix
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

When one masters the scandi style, the wind only ever blows upstream 🤪

For the rest, its just a fancy name for spey casting with shorter shootingheads. So all of the spey casts apply, but remember to use a short spey tapered shootinghead, a coated runningline (because a mono has too little friction and will cause the rod leg to overtake the fly leg and make trouble!) And a very long monofilament leader, but not too long as it will cause tailing loops, but we cant tell you how long that is, but if you get a tail, it was probably too long 🤣
Does it show I have had arguements with preachers of scandi/underhand/Andersson style for the last 20 years 🙂

In seriousness, all spey casts are applicable.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Thank you Lasse, that is what I figured. I can understand why you would have an issue with some of the presenters of the "underhand" style (which is what I meant when I said Scandi - OK that's clearer now). They certainly like to hang shit on the other styles. :( And yeah, you only ever seem to see them doing single Spey casts or Switch casts.

I do however find it to be an excellent remedial style when teaching students to not flap their arms all over the place, it certainly helped me initially.

Cheers.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It really doesn’t help how all this stuff began. Many Underhand casters were adamant that they weren’t Spey Casting and had invented a new type of casting. I suppose it comes down to how people conceptualise (and separate) things in their minds. For me it doesn’t matter if you make a Junp Roll with a DT, a light shooting head or a Skagit line, it’s still a Junp Roll. Hell the EFFA at one point said there were “no named casts” in Underhand Casting and would move the target around asking candidates to hit it.

Anyway for me the stroke adjustments between tackle types accounts for the differences. It’s exactly the same with the overhead cast where you can make a short stroke with a short head, and must make a long stoke with a long head, and both are still overhead casts (or whatever cast you are executing).

So to answer your question Morsie, they make DS and Snake Rolls :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Haha, Thanks Paul. I just thought "Am I missing something here"? All styles have their place, if you nail yourself to just one, at some stage you're going to look stupid.

Morsie
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It would be about yr2000, one or two years into Sexyloops anyway, that this Underhand confusion started. “It’s not Spey Casting; it’s Underhand Casting” and there was a a shit load of marketing around it. “Hype” night be the appropriate word.

So I invented a new overhead cast, no horizontal stroke length, just a vertical pull of the rod and I called it the “flip flop” cast and posted a picture of one of my shoes, after which I had named it. People actually nowadays ask me to teach it :D

You know the problem is, over time the irony of the situation gets lost, the name “Sexyloops” is one such example. It was originally a piss take. Grasshopper was asking the Caster Master up the top of the mountain if his loops would be “sexy” after eating one grain of rice per day and Caster Master said “nah” but for some reason unbeknownst to myself, people actually take it seriously! I’ve never taken myself seriously so why anyone else should is totally beyond me. :D

It reminds me of a post where someone suggested floating the fly downstream on a leaf in difficult situations and one of new guys asked “you guys don’t float flies downstream on leaves do you???” Well no, of course not, but it’s a bloody good idea :D

Lines coming, Double-Handed Dildo ordered. It’s all about to happen!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Around 2000? You where lucky then :D

Bätrre flugfiske, a book by Göran Andersson, Ingmar Norling and Torkel Norling, done for Swedish "sportsfiskarna" came out in 1991, and sort of got it out broader than just the courses. Funny thing is alot of the stuff they got wrong was repeated by the Skagit proponents, and some of it both sides claim only belong to them :sorcerer:

Ah, to be young and buy into this shit again :p

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Morsie wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:00 am Thank you Lasse, that is what I figured. I can understand why you would have an issue with some of the presenters of the "underhand" style (which is what I meant when I said Scandi - OK that's clearer now). They certainly like to hang shit on the other styles. :( And yeah, you only ever seem to see them doing single Spey casts or Switch casts.

I do however find it to be an excellent remedial style when teaching students to not flap their arms all over the place, it certainly helped me initially.

Cheers.
Hi Morsie

The good ones also play with circles which was Gørans big thing and that can be pretty cool! But yeah, alot of shade thrown around, it gets old quickly, when they start throwing the shade against each other at shows :D

And yeah, the whole "fishing position, forward stop, back stop, pendl(drift) forward stop" exercise is not bad to ingrain something, or even iron out something else. I have however also had quite a few students that came from it with nada, where it absolutly didn't work. And I'm not counting my lack of beer belly in that category :p Heck, my default twohanded throw has Scandi written all over it, old habits and all....

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”