PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

VLoops

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Morsie
Answers: 0

VLoops

Post by Morsie »

Have searched far and wide for good clips on making Vloops. Anyone know of any?

Thanks,
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
springer

Re: VLoops

Post by springer »

Sorry I dont know of any clips Morsie but it should be a fairly easy subject to talk about.

As with any shape the fly line makes its as a result of the rod tip path that was used to move the line and in the case of v-loops its no different. Whatever type of d-loop forming move we make regardless of whether is an airborne or waterborne anchor will determine the shape of the loop we create behind us, a D or a >

Lets say for this example we are knee deep. If at the beginning of the d-loop forming move you start with the rod tip high (say rod angle at 45 degrees or more on a single spey) then you will have a rounded aspect to your d-loop because as you rotate and sweep back you will have a dip in the rod tip and then it will rise into the forward cast position. This rod tip path will then manifest into the rounded loop form.

If you sweep into your d-loop with either an inclined sweep with the rod tip starting at the water and climbing and curving you will get a v-loop, you can also create the same v-loop with a rod tip that is a bit higher above the water, say when the rod itself is parallel to the water and the tip at about chest height and then swept around in this flat plane before rising into the forward cast position.

The same applies to waterborne anchor casts, once the anchor placing move has been made we have a choice as to how we choose to sweep the line from the water into the d-loop, again the same principles apply.

The only slightly different thing to think about is the snake roll as the shape and size of the initial line movement differs depending on the severity of the angle change required. In general though we are still looking for this flatter sweep into the d-loop so rather than the rod tip following a rounded or elliptical shape its far more of a sausage shape in the horizontal plane if that makes any sense?

Also bear in mind that line length v rod length will determine what kind of v-loop you get, the more line behind you the more exaggerated your v-loop will be.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Broadly speaking I would say a straight rod tip path during the aerielised sweep will result in a V loop and a curved tip path with result in a D loop. Certainly that’s a nice easy way to demonstrate it. It would be nice to watch some videos. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Pretty up on all the theory of it Springer, would just like to see some clips. Might have to go and shoot my own. In the new THCI test, if you are to place point P level with, or in front of your position, the margin for error in forming the V is very slight - especially to produce and distinctly pointy V and to have no level drop. I would just like to see how others are controlling this.

Morsie
springer

Post by springer »

Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Yep, Very nice, have seen that clip and I think its as good as I have seen, but Point P is more often than not behind him. Any clips with big fat round D's?
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

How about this, Peter? :)

Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Thanks Nick, but I imagine that wouldn't get you anywhere the THCI, and if it did, I'm home and hosed. :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :pirate:
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Here's a clip of a few attempted D's - the first 3 I think but I can see I'm much too fast, and then V's. The issue is the position of Point P - much of the time its much too far behind me.

springer

Post by springer »

Morsie wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:09 am The issue is the position of Point P - much of the time its much too far behind me.
The position of Point P is easily controlled, why dont you move it to where you want it to be?

Are you preparing for a THCI? if so where do they want Point P?

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”