PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Game fair UK

Moderator: Lee Cummings

ACW
Answers: 0

Game fair UK

Post by ACW »

Not been for a few years but when I did I always enjoyed the Speycasting comps .
Seems there wont be any this year and theres next to no fishing tackle dealers .So thats no ACW at the gamefair!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Game fair UK

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s a shame Andy. I don’t know what it’s all about anymore. Certainly I have fond memories of attending 25+ years ago :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

What casting competitions could be run were quite well attended despite being remote from the rest of the fair, ( i had people come to the game fair and have no idea there was a casting area). Although they didn't have the ropes for the spey i know the BFCC are certainly going to try to include it next year. The BFCC are also supposed to be looking at some more user friendly events for those of us not quite upto reaching the 30m bollards and find it all a bit intimidating doing T27s, overhead salmon and accuracy rings under match rules. Something's a bit more fun and inclusive.( Though talk of James Edwards and the daily ducking stool hangover cure is largely fanciful idle chatter sadly ).

The fishing village was pathetic though , and even the veniards stall had nothing for sale just tying demonstrations, I counted 5 retailers selling fishing tackle, when you think that ten years back you could spend the best part of the day in the fishing village alone and grab so many bargains, it's pretty sad.

Everything as hit the skids with the break of covid combined with the online shopping phenomenon and the prohibitive stall costs for the gamefair.. Fishing as an activity there could go one way or the other depending on demand and the way the fishing bit is managed..... and attended!

Next year there is talk of moving the fishing village, nay Hamlet down on the field with the casting instruction and distance competitions, hopefully if the organisers contact the FBA/angling monitoring scheme, the Wild trout trust, and other interested bodies they will turn up and add to the variety on offer and then the Angling presence can start to turn a corner. Otherwise the vacuum left by it will be soon filled with middle aged Womens wear, Flavoured gin and Biltong stalls. Sadly there seemed to be very few artisan craftsman there working on their country crafts for some reason.

We will never get back to the huge Sportsfish, Angling Direct, Orvis bargain shops, and every rod under the sun available to try out like it was years ago, But hopefully they can offer some more realistic pitches to smaller producers and outlets to make it worthwhile ...( like say 'Hot torpedos'!! :oh: ), and remould the Gamefair into a different sort of event for anglers.... It seems the organisers are keen to have our presence to add variety even though we will not compete the guns and dogs for financial clout and reward.

It would be a great shame if all we are left with is the British flyfishing and flyting fair in the butt end of a wet cold winter to visit and meet up, With no casting and demonstrations and outdoor activities it also feels a bit flat and farmers market .... without the Biltong and Gin.

And ACW I thought you were coming upto worry our liitle wild trout with your Hot Torpedo this year, or have i confused you with another Gooner!
all best to all
pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
ACW

Post by ACW »

Pom
would love to get the Hot thing up your way.
Sadly my lungs are SNAFU at the moment ,back to Barts hospital for scans after 3 minor ops that have not had a great effect .
hopefully will have some surgery to up lung efficiency .
Youngsters note smoking screws you up !
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

I am sorry to hear about the lung capacity. but lets be positive here.... and sorry also to moderator that lilliput fishing is surfacing in 2 handed casting but bare with me!

We are a very easy wade with gravels and soft carpets on spongy ranunculus through gentle currents and little riffles, in fact i just took my neighbour for a wander upstream barefooted to show off the fishery and escape from the heat wave. it was a doddle.

The odd deep bit now have stout posts to help you easily in and out, for the help of older members and the odd paying guest, and if you struggle getting up there's always be a Liverpool fan behind you with a cattle prod to give you a gentle little jolt up ( Youll never walk alone takes on a whole new meaning!)
If Barts do there magic and you can get your car to the bankside, Ill safely get you in and out of the water and we can try double handed spey casting that Hot torpedo for tiny browns ( actually the EA reckon the growth rates are some of the highest in the country and comparable to returning sea trout).
SO, get well soon or as well as you can. PM me a phone number and put a date in your diary for a day next april/ May june to head up the A1 to Fotheringhay and ill be there waiting to lower you into the brook and when youve caught your fill get you safely back to your car , even if we need the club wheelbarrow to get you there :D

You'll never wade alone

the pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Best of luck Andy. 💪
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”