PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sri Lanka?

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

petevicar
Answers: 0

Sri Lanka?

Post by petevicar »

Nice pics. How was the fishing?
IANACI
Sudesh Pursad

Sri Lanka?

Post by Sudesh Pursad »

Hi Peter...

Awesome pics and nice fish too. One suggestion is to use red nail varnish on the head of the chartreuse clousers. I do not know why, but the ones with the red heads work better than the ones without. In South Africa I have christened this clouser the Mozambican clouser. It is very slightly different to your clouser, but essentially the same.

Tight lines always

Ciao
Me
petevicar

Sri Lanka?

Post by petevicar »

My normal bonefish flies have red heads. Gotchas, Crazy Charlies with red heads.
Christmas Island specials work well because they have red heads.
IANACI
skeg

Sri Lanka?

Post by skeg »

hey, thanks Sudesh! :-)

the chartreuse-white clouser was the star, for sure. I've had a fish on a tube popper and an EP-minnow-kinda thing, too.

Pete, as I was on a family holiday, my fishing was kind of opportunistic, - of course I've done my homework prior the trip, but really didn't know what to expect. Based on my Mauritius-experiences, I started looking for the fish around rocky areas, where deep water is close, and there is enough current- turbulence. Reefs, rocky shores, edges.
I was not really followed the tidal pattern, but at the end it seemed really important for bigger fish.
I was "out" for 6 or seven times, (two occasion on a boat- where I got nothing) and I got four smaller GTs - in the 2-3 kgs range, three smaller bluefins(trev's), had quite a lot of action- hookup/loosing fish, follows, hits. I lost two bigger 10kg+ range - one was spooled me and cut the leader on the rocks, the other straightened the hook, as the line wrapped around my reel-hand and reel on the first run... :oh:
I fished dawn and dusk-morning- evenig for 2-3 hrs, mainly.

I was out with the Gamefishingasia- guys at Kirindafor 4 hrs, hoping for some decent catch - Their communication locally was a bit slow and not really clear, and it was quite expensive(for me) - but I had to try. The guide and deckie were really nice and hardworking, but they guide lure- popper anglers, so the only strategy what they could offer is to tease the fish up, and cast the fly to the teased fish...the ocean was a bit choppy that day with quite a wind, so it wasn't easy. Additionally I struggled to load my One 10 wt - which is more of a 11 wt IMHO...Erik(the guide) managed to tease up three fishes in 4 hrs, I had one shot- what I messed up(of course) so it wasn't really a succesful day...They were hoping for the "usual" 4-5 GT's following the popper"- situation...not that day. But I hooked up a spanish mackerel from a bait ball busting bunch which took the hook of my tube-popper, and a smaller GT immediately started to attack my fly- but no hook up- of course... :glare: - I kept casting at least some 10 minutes more, when I realized that I cast a hookless fly... :kungfu:
It was not a teased fish. I think we would be more succesful if we stay closer to the lighthouse- rocks - at least we would have had more action. We've seen dolphins, and a lot of bait balls around. So I think the Great Basses reef is really a good place, just one has to spend at least three days- or outings, to get a bigger GT on a fly. I had no time nor money for another shot...next time... :pirate:

I was out with a local fisherman at Unawatuna, and we've seen 20kg+ fish swimming and busting bait around a reef, but the boat was equipped with a nice sunroof- so the only way I could cast was on the front deck of the boat which was more of a balancing practise than casting...

My other 4-5 sessions were by myself climbing the rocks around Unawatuna, where I found a decent place- every outing I had some GT-action- there were LOTs of smaller GTs, and the bigger fish were around, too...

So Pete, I think Sri Lanka is a nice location for exploratory fishing, definitely not a frequently fished place, but it means one has to spend a bit more time and it requires a bit of effort to find the right places.

But it has quite a lot of fish around...I'll be back, for sure.

Return to “Saltwater”