PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

sliding

Moderator: Paul Arden

Gilly
Answers: 0

sliding

Post by Gilly »

Hi Paul,

I'm a bit confused over sliding. I can see that you are really snapping on the rotation on the forward cast but in my head I don't really understand why you are not bending the rod all the way through. Is this because you need a more aggressive rotation?

Also when I try sliding i'm ending up with slack in the back cast - is this because I'm not quick enough? I release line and drift and then I try to slide and although it feels kinda funky, it's crap casting!!Help please?

Also, I have a 12# which I'm also practicing with too for a saltwater holiday, it's a pretty short head and tends to whack line out but you have very limited carry presumably I just have to get stronger arms for a better haul to make this go further?

Thanks.

Gilly.

PS - just downloading bits of the App - it's bloody fantastic - I love it and it is really helping. xx
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

sliding

Post by Paul Arden »

Phew! Hi Gilly!

Ok Sliding, as we use the term, is simply a form of drift that does nothing really apart from reposition the rod hand. I agree that slide detracts from the casting stroke, it shortens it, but the reason we do this is because the only way not to do this, if we are hauling, is to reach a long way back with the line hand too. And while this is possible for flexible people, men simply cannot do this.

And when we try to, we actually find our haul has been compromised because we've started hauling with a straight elbow and not a bent one. Slide is not really something to practise, it just sort of happens.

Regards the 12 weight and short head, I would suggest concentrating on the loop, combined with a quick haul and early release. It's not so much about force, as being precise. Having said this with absolute confidence, I should perhaps point out that I've seen anyone of your stature casting a 12 weight before. But I certainly hope and believe it to be the case :)

Cheers, Paul

Ps thanks for the kind words on the App!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

sliding

Post by James9118 »

Hi Gilly,

Tracy is pretty handy with a #12 - I think the key to using it without getting fatigued is to try and do more work with the hauling hand rather than the rod hand. Try and keep the rod arc short, you really don't want to be trying to rotate it through more angle than is necessary. Keep false casting to a minimum for the same reason, if you want distance, shoot a lot of line into the backcast.

You must be going somewhere exciting - are you going to tell us :D .

James
Tracy

sliding

Post by Tracy »

Hi Gilly,
Always happy to meet up sometime to practice with the 12wt - I could do with practising in readiness for my next salt-water trip to the Bahamas
Tracy
petevicar

sliding

Post by petevicar »

Hi Tracy,
you must be going to somewhere very special.
I can't think of many places in the Bahamas where you will get to use a 12wt.
I can't really think of any.
OK maybe a couple of tarpon holes on South Andros but a 10wt is adequate.
I have had a couple of shots at some big tarpon on Grand Bahama but I understand that was exceptional.

Have fun.

Pete
IANACI
Tracy

sliding

Post by Tracy »

Hi Pete, there are big sharks all over the Bahamas :???:
Tracy
Flybye

sliding

Post by Flybye »

Jacks in the channels too, and Cuda all over the shop.
TK
petevicar

sliding

Post by petevicar »

OK.
I don't normally target sharks.
IANACI
Gilly

sliding

Post by Gilly »

Thanks Paul for the help. I'm practicing like mad and had my first lesson for the advanced next year and my lovely mentor was really pleased with my progress by using the apps so great stuff!!!! Only annoying thing is that you make it all look so easy.

And yes I look like a hobbit casting the 12# :D What's going to look even funnier is if I actually catch a big GT, what's the chance of me landing it, more likely I'll be dragged out to sea.
Saying that it's great for building up some arm/wrist strength and makes lighter rods seems so much easier afterwards.

Hi Tracy (just sent you a e-mail) - it would be great to meet up and do some casting and I'm off to the Sunny Seychelles and counting down the days - packed a month ago.

XX
James9118

sliding

Post by James9118 »

Hi Gilly,

Ooooh Seychelles - should be fun :pirate: .

I forgot to mention - you should always practice with a big, air resistant fly (half a dead chicken :D ) - you can get a false impression otherwise.

James.

Return to “Competition Distance”