PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

almost... (braid)

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

almost... (braid)

Post by Paul Arden »

Two nights ago I had a gourami sip down my dun that was attached to 35lb braid. No easy task since the bloody stuff floats in the film. I was watching the braid go down and I struck. Fish on... for one second.

So... are there braids that sink? Mud seems to work, but not very well. Any thoughts on this matter much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
flyfisher666
Answers: 0

almost... (braid)

Post by flyfisher666 »

http://www.spiderwire.com/spiderwire-li ... 60929.html

Haven't tested it tho.

//Joakim

btw!! Sent you a mail about not being able to login to the board. Solved that by myself... ☺
Paul Arden
Site Admin

almost... (braid)

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes got the mail :cool:

Thanks this could be the answer. Now to find it in Malaysia! It might be worth dropping from 35lbs to 20. I'm starting to regard these fish very highly - they're a serious challenge.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

almost... (braid)

Post by Viking Lars »

Which rod are you fishing? I'm wondering why it makes sense to go for that strong a leader on small flies?

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

almost... (braid)

Post by Paul Arden »

HT4. Because I need to pull them backwards and I've lost 7 out of 8 hooked on 7.8kg line!

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

almost... (braid)

Post by Viking Lars »

Yes, I see now having read your FP :-).

Regarding flylines, there seems to be a Little commotion in the business with one or two smaller brands making flylines (floating) with a app. half the diameter of what we're used to. One of them is Arctic Silver from Norway, where my good friend, Stener Skogmo, is developing some lines with this new technology.

I had the opportunity to try one at the Danish Fly Fair in April (on grass) and it certainly flies fast :-).

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

almost... (braid)

Post by Paul Arden »

Do you know how they've done this? I've been considering silk!

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

almost... (braid)

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally gourami is not a quick shot like snakehead. But with the four line I can deliver with so much more speed. Unfortunately I think the minimum line weight to carry the poppers I'm throwing would be a 7.

I've been having lots of ideas regarding fly lines. But I can't afford the development costs. Oh to be rich! Anyway I'll see what can be done.

Right. 2 hrs of daylight left. Must get back on board. Will camp tonight with phone connection in a spot where I've seen gourami. Need to send some emails!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

almost... (braid)

Post by Graeme H »

I don't know what silk lines break at, but I do know the expected breaking strain of the "artificial silk" lines I've been making in my shed. 60lb minimum ...

They are those hollow spectra tapered lines you saw me playing with last November.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

almost... (braid)

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes it seemed like quite a big operation, Graeme. I'm not sure I'm ready to actually *make* a silk line, or a "Hird's Garage Spectra" but I have talked to Bruce about an idea and I think something will come out of it.

Cheers,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”