PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hauling modeled

Moderator: Torsten

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Hauling modeled

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

The fastest punch in thr world according to Guinness records is 44 mph, I doubt we will get up there when hauling. Gordy measured my back haul at 13 m/s a few years back, and I don't think I'll get much more going all out.

And I'm not going into that one, I'll settle for accelerating :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
gordonjudd

Hauling modeled

Post by gordonjudd »

Incidentally is the haul a constant acceleration or exponential?
Paul,
In the case of Lasse's haul in the cast shown below it was roughly sinusoidal.

The derivative of the blue haul speed curve shown below.

is nominally sinusoidal as shown below in the red acceleration curve.

Gordy
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hauling modeled

Post by Paul Arden »

Well we've been around this before Lasse. The fastest throw is around 100mph. In the case of hauling we are both throwing and separating the hands. Let me get some video this weekend and send it over to Gordy. I'm not the fastest. Both Steve and Rick are faster than me - - on the forward cast at least!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Hauling modeled

Post by Merlin »

Paul

A sine / cosine function describes well the haul acceleration, certainly neither linear nor exponential! Have a look at the file I sent you.

Let's wait for your video and Gordy's analysis, then we shall see. I think a short article about the way a haul works can be written afterwards.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
John Waters

Hauling modeled

Post by John Waters »

Interesting to see the position in the stroke/haul the max speed is attained. :-)

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling modeled

Post by Paul Arden »

Got some video. Will send over from wifi tonight. Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Hauling modeled

Post by Merlin »

Hi All

Studying the haul mechanism with a model can help understanding the important parameters to make it efficient. I am still working on a single rod, and things begin to clarify.

Main mechanism is a direct increase in line speed, to make it simple (neglecting line friction in the guides and on the rod shaft), but it can be accompanied by a pullback in the loop up to MCF and beyond. All depends on a few parameters: haul length (the amount of line you haul), haul duration, and haul timing (when you start the haul).

The first two ones define maximum haul speed, which, if the haul is properly tuned (timing), will just add to the line speed coming from the rod (and you). You can either haul along a large distance (limited by your body) on a long time or pull quickly a shorter length of line to get the same maximum haul speed. Whatever your choice is, the maximum haul speed should occur close to RSP (e.g. 10 milliseconds before). Actual records (Lasse, Noel & Bruce), confirm that trend, and we are waiting for new data (thanks Paul & Gordy).

This means that the start of the haul has to be chosen according to your haul choice: a long haul means a relatively earlier start and a short one a relatively late start. The simplest rule is to position the start of the haul close to MAV (maximum rotation angle velocity). If your haul is long, start before and if your haul is short, start after MAV.

This is something very difficult to control given the quickness of the cast. As I already mentioned, I rely myself on the tension in the line, and pulls on it as I think tension is maximum, which happens close to MAV incidentally. Since the brain order needs 40 ms to get the hauling arm into action, I have to opt for a rather short / quick haul. If you prefer, you can opt for pulling nearly all the cast through but then you need to apply a long pull on the line, and the risk is to be out of sync with RSP (too early).

With a long haul, you may pull farther than MCF, and with a short haul you should end hauling before MCF. A short pull reduces the loop size, but that remains fairly small. I found 5% difference for a rather large range of haul characteristics (for a given maximum haul speed).

Haul efficiency decrease quickly if you are not in sync with RSP. In practice, it would be nice to know how casting instructors teach the necessary synchronism to get the best of a haul. Many thanks in advance for giving your thoughts or tell about your teaching method.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling modeled

Post by Paul Arden »

Quick one which I can expand upon later. I teach (after the basics) to,

1 haul to straight arm or hands maximum distance apart
2 to feel for the line with the hauling hand
3 to use the kinetic whip
5 to haul after the rod butt passes the perpendicular
6 (really 1) the haul controls everything especially timing and the rod is in for the ride (flop).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling modeled

Post by Paul Arden »

Sent a couple of vids over to Gordy from today. Was happy with loops and distance!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling modeled

Post by Paul Arden »

Who is it who has the fastest punch, Lasse?

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”