PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Single spey sequence

Moderator: Paul Arden

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Single spey sequence

Post by Lou Bruno »

I begin my cast with the rod pointing downstream, towards the fly.
As I sweep the rod upstream, to place my anchor, I do not dip the tip.
I place my left foot forward.

Should I point the rod at the new target as I begin my cast?
Should I dip the tip when placing my anchor?
Does it matter what foot I have forward?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Single spey sequence

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

The standard is to put your casting foot forward. Ie right shoulder, right handed, right foot forwards. This blocks the torso from rotating too far. Sometimes it's reversed for opposite shoulder to block, however the cross-body already does this so to open up slightly the thinking is to keep the same foot forward. Ie left shoulder, right hand, right foot forwards.

Dipping can cause a crashed anchor, you can dip particularly with the 90 change, but you need to accelerate at the end of the sweep to pull the line end into place.

How is your anchor coming in? If it skips you need a flat tip path at some point in your sweep. This puts a small wave down the line which creates your anchor section.

Make sure that you are facing your target at the beginning and then twist your body so that you are facing downstream.

This cast is the most difficult Spey cast and needs lots of practise. Particularly off shoulder. I'd recommend just practising the anchor time and time again!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Single spey sequence

Post by Paul Arden »

Did this help or was it gobbledegook? :p

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Single spey sequence

Post by VGB »

All reads fine to me except the bit about the flat tip path, I can't follow that.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Single spey sequence

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok when you sweep flat it sends a wave down the line, the length of this flat stroke being the length of the anchor (unless you pull some out).

I could draw a picture but that wouldn't help.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Single spey sequence

Post by VGB »

Not if you draw the picture on the sand :D

What I think you are saying is that you start a climbing sweep, flatten the climb for a while, then resume the climb to complete the sweep. Is this it?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Single spey sequence

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes. :cool:

But there are other ways! You can dip for example and pull out, but that's best with 90. If you don't dip or go flat then I think you need to finish the lift earlier.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Single spey sequence

Post by VGB »

Cheers Paul, I'll give it a go.

Regards

Vince

Lou Bruno

Single spey sequence

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul Arden wrote:Did this help or was it gobbledegook? :p
Paul....yes. Wanted to see how the single spey with a single handed rod compared with a two handed.
I've noticed that the dip, depending on the source, can be included and not. It's nice to understand why "to dip or not."
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Single spey sequence

Post by Paul Arden »

OK this is how I see the three ways to make anchors.

1) Finish the lift slightly too early and there is a small dog leg in the line. Because there is very little tension at the line end the dog leg can stay at the line end and form your anchor. I don't like this method because I find it a little bit unreliable. You can get very good at it with a fixed length of line.

2) Pick off so that the line is perfectly straight, introduce a horizontal path in the tip and then raise again. This sets up a flat wave in the line which you can watch run down the line and form the anchor. I like this method, particularly with smaller any changes.

3) pick off and then dip and sweep up with significant acceleration. If you don't accelerate you get a crashed anchor. With the acceleration the wave runs all the way through the line and the line end pulls through into place. I like this one best particularly for larger angle changes. It also gives me the best D/V loop.

I think you have a choice. The confusion is one person says do one, and another person says something else. They all work. If you just practised anchors for a year it would not be time wasted.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Single Spey 45”