PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hi there

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Carlos
Answers: 0

Hi there

Post by Carlos »

Thanks for accepting me in the board.

I am a fly fishing student. Every aspect interest to me: technique, tactic, ecology, aesthetics, ethics, traditions and new land. But I am now very concentrated in developing my casting.

Before taking the time to write these lines, I have been looking around the board. It is very interesting that many of the issues I am facing now trying to achieve better loops, have been discussed by board members, many years ago. So I am really profiting from the records provided by many of you. Thanks for that.

I live at south Germany. I came from Brazil many years ago, and here I started fly fishing. My home waters include a freestone river and a "Kreidefluß", something like a chalk stream. Both rivers are very close to my place. So my fly fishing experience is mainly with trout and grayling. I eventually try another species, whenever I have the chance.

so...
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hi there

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Carlos and welcome to the Board! :cool:

Right! How do you currently practise your casting skills? If you shoot some video I and others will certainly help :)

I will fish Brazil one day. I've fished in Germany!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Carlos

Hi there

Post by Carlos »

Hi Paul,

I practice a lot, but I have got to believe that quality of practice is more important than quantity. That said, I cannot avoid top practice a lot :-), but I have got to read books, and then to practice after my readings. More recently, I have incorporated video analysis. It is amazing what you can learn about yourself watching HD videos at 60 fps in loco, produced with your handy! When I am doing videos, I prefer short cycles and frequent feedback, as I observed that I usually introduce new problems when I am trying to fix one.

I am now reading the last book from Jason Borger, Single Handed Fly Casting.

Thanks for your offer! And yes, Brazil can be an interesting fly fishing experience, salt and fresh water.

Cheers,
Graeme H

Hi there

Post by Graeme H »

Welcome Carlos.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hi there

Post by Paul Arden »

I believe there are four key areas/skills in fly casting; accuracy, distance, Soeys and Presentation Casts. We all seem to be biased towards one of them, for example I prefer distance. But mastering them all makes you a very rounded caster. For me anyway I "mastered" them one at a time and still work on each one separately for months.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Carlos

Hi there

Post by Carlos »

Thanks Graeme!

Paul, I used to dismiss the search for distance, as it seems not so important as the other skills for fishing. But now, after attempting to extend my limits in this area, I am changing my mind. Aiming for distance shows you all your technical weak points, and that alone is a good.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hi there

Post by Paul Arden »

Distance magnifies your problems, Carlos. The search for distance has made me a more technical caster. But it has other uses, including dealing with wind and quick shots. Anyway watching 90 feet of line false casting through the air is mesmerising! :) And contrary to what most people think takes very little effort when done properly.

Maybe the best part of it is that it is totally measurably and seeing the improvements is quiet obvious. The key really is to practise one area until you hit a wall, then change your drills for another area until that hits a wall and change again or go back. That's what works for me anyway.

Assuming I ever get back to England this weekend then I'll tune up my distance. Every time I tune up I relearn what I know but also learn something new. Consequently I always improve and when I tune up I always end up throwing further.

Of course fishing is more important but it's one of the aspects. Not sure if we'll meet this trip but I'll be over next summer. I'll have half in Sweden and half in Bosnia. Hopefully we will fish together!

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Carlos

Hi there

Post by Carlos »

Paul Arden wrote:Maybe the best part of it is that it is totally measurably and seeing the improvements is quiet obvious. The key really is to practise one area until you hit a wall, then change your drills for another area until that hits a wall and change again or go back. That's what works for me anyway.
What sub-areas areas there are to practice for distance?
Paul Arden wrote:Assuming I ever get back to England this weekend then I'll tune up my distance. Every time I tune up I relearn what I know but also learn something new. Consequently I always improve and when I tune up I always end up throwing further.
I have this feeling too, that whatever is improved in any area, it has a positive impact in the whole.
Paul Arden wrote:Of course fishing is more important but it's one of the aspects. Not sure if we'll meet this trip but I'll be over next summer. I'll have half in Sweden and half in Bosnia. Hopefully we will fish together!
:) :) :) That would be great! I can arrange licenses here in the region.

Cheers,
Carlos
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hi there

Post by Paul Arden »

Great! I still have my fischereischein - somewhere!

Sub areas for distance; weight shift, tracking (targets), carry, late rotation, haul timing and speed, launch.

When I'm tuning up I don't even bother about working on the launch until I have everything in place. This takes nowadays around one week to ten days. Key for me is carry.

I do something kind of weird too. Every time I tune up I reverse my stances. i.e. last time I was open, this time I'll be closed, taking the step... probably.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hi there

Post by Paul Arden »

Carlos, I forgot to mention, the easiest thing on distance is to "hit it" too early. It takes a while to perfect the timing, which for me happens after the rod butt has passed the perpendicular (/or later at MCL).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”