PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Small flies - big salmon

Moderator: Paul Arden

Jonas Magnusson
Answers: 0

Small flies - big salmon

Post by Jonas Magnusson »

Just returned from Iceland where some salmon chasing was done. In the gin clear small rivers there these flies are deadly.
IMG_6127.JPG
To witness the strikes in the surface when using these (#14 and #16) is exciting
IMG_4210.jpg
I have not fished for salmon anywhere else - is this size productive anywhere else?
Jonas
------------------
www.everyjonahhasawhale.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Small flies - big salmon

Post by Paul Arden »

That looks like fun! I've never fished much for Salmon but in the first fishing lodge I worked the manager had done a lot of salmon and trout fishing on the Tweed in Scotland and caught many Salmon on trout size 16s. We'd be going back a long way. Pre 1950s for sure.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
ACW

Small flies - big salmon

Post by ACW »

Oh yes ,I often fish tinys in low clear water ,but never trebles any more as most rivers dont allow ,had a purge of some of my fly boxes recently,and the trebles were segregated ,
Nice fish BTW
petevicar

Small flies - big salmon

Post by petevicar »

I have fished for salmon a number of times in Iceland.
On some rivers small flies work very well but on larger rivers like the Rangas big heavy flies are needed.

I have used flies down to size 20 on the Nordura, Langa,Kjos.

In Canada around Gaspé small flies have proved successful on many rivers.
IANACI
Nick

Small flies - big salmon

Post by Nick »

There are a lot of places where salmon are suckers for a small fly. I used to fish "wee doubles" a lot, size 10-14, mostly black, and caught fish on a lot of the Scottish salmon rivers. Mainly used to fish the Tweed system, but also remember using them effectively in the Helmsdale, Halladale, North Esk, Annan, Nith... anywhere that the water was clear enough for them to see the little fly going over their heads. That was more than 20 years ago of course. There probably aren't any salmon in those rivers any more.

Smallest fly I ever got a salmon on was a size 16 pheasant tail nymph. I think we were both surprised.

N.
ACW

Small flies - big salmon

Post by ACW »

My recent unsuccessfull trip to the Kyle of Sutherland carron had me wishing for some salmon doubles on #16s.
any suggestions on which hooks to go for ,I have bronze down eyes ,but they just dont look right to me !
petevicar

Small flies - big salmon

Post by petevicar »

Hi Andy
I can't tie small flies so I buy them.
I have used Salar flies and Fishingflies.is

It looks like the really small flies are only available as trebles whereas the doubles only go down to #14.

Pete
IANACI
Jonas Magnusson

Small flies - big salmon

Post by Jonas Magnusson »

petevicar wrote:Hi Andy
I can't tie small flies so I buy them.
I have used Salar flies and Fishingflies.is

It looks like the really small flies are only available as trebles whereas the doubles only go down to #14.

Pete
You are absolutely correct about Rangá the bigger spring fed rivers are cold and you need bigger flies there. Caught this summer my first salmon with a 2 hander using the "proper" technique (i.e. roll casting) in Eystri Rangá.
Can not find #16 doubles. How about snipping off one hook of a treble?
And to all other who have responded many thanks for your info.
We are slated to have us a wee storm here in Florida - I am outside the cone but this is dicey - glued to the National Hurricane Center´s forecast.
Jonas
------------------
www.everyjonahhasawhale.com
ACW

Small flies - big salmon

Post by ACW »

Hi Pete hope alls well,just been in Farlowes and yes there are only #14 doubles the new ish patriots from Partridge they are a tad smaller than the code P that is my favorite "chassis" for my silkcut shrimps and the other odd patteerns I fish from time to time.
I am sure smaller black japanned hooks have been produced ,as I have a few ,though where the heck they came from I really cant remember.
Jonas stay safe !
ACW

Small flies - big salmon

Post by ACW »

Found some low water 16s on RM Jeffries ,should have then in a few days .
Will report back !

Return to “Flyfishing”