PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New from NZ

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
tomi
Answers: 0

New from NZ

Post by tomi »

Hi i'm a Brit living in NZ for the last 5 years. Settled in Dunedin for the moment. I'm a novice finding my feet having started flyfishing about 2 years ago as an excuse to spend time around the beautiful streams, rivers and lakes on my doorstep and as i love to try and fail to master a technique!

I've had one casting lesson and been following the masterclass online which is great thank you paul. I'm possibly just about an intermediate now with good loops on an overhead cast, shooting line and an average double haul although my roll cast is a bit ropey and probably needs another lesson to tighten it up.

My main problem at the moment though i what i can only describe as "bounce" when casting more than one fly usually something with weight. I'm guessing this has something to do with my technique maybe lack of drift? but do you think it could also be an issue of equipment? I noticed it was particularly bad the other day when trying to fish streamers on a dirty river after rain and i accidentally brought my 6 wt line (actually 6.5 weight) with my 5 weight rod which is medium-fast action?

Cheers

Tomi
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New from NZ

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Tomi and a big welcome to the Board!!! :cool:

That sounds like tackle to me. A very heavy line on a given rod will bend it more than expected and after it unloads it will continue on to a deeper Counterflex.

Depending on what you mean by bounce! (This would be a big kick down of the tip).

Nice place you are living apart from the weather. There are a couple of very nice streams north and inland of you that I'm sure you have found. The Clutha is pretty interesting in itself however.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
tomi

New from NZ

Post by tomi »

Thanks Paul, yes that’s what I meant by bounce although as I said i’ve Also noticed it when using a correctly weighted line but with heavy nymphs and streamers?

I’m not sure I have found those streams? I’ve done most of my local fishing from the big river just south of dunedin and it’s tributaries or gone further a field to Southland or east otago. My first half a season was when I was working in hamilton and mostly on the spring creeks around Rotorua.
James9118

New from NZ

Post by James9118 »

Hi Tomi,

If you try and cast flies that are too big for the line then you will get some issues with turn over which I could imagine being described as a feeling of 'bounce'. This can largely be negated by improving your casting technique, but there's always a limit in fly size/weight in relation to line size above which things start to feel a bit odd.

Enjoy the board,

James

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”