PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hello from Cape Cod

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
George C
Answers: 0

Hello from Cape Cod

Post by George C »

Hi

I've been lurking a while, enjoying the site and learning a ton, so I felt it time to join.
I live on Cape Cod........in Falmouth, MA, USA.
I'm in my 60's now. Retired. Decaying. Been fishing (primarily saltwater) since childhood except when school, job, children, and organized youth sports got in the way. Notice I didn't list marriage....I've got a great wife. If I take the dog, I'm good to go.

I've been fly fishing since the late 80's or early 90's (whenever RPL+ blanks and the Saltwater Bandwagon first showed up). Went through a phase when I played the purist and only fly fished. That lasted maybe 10 years until I got over myself.......which sounds better than admitting that casting limitations, paltry successes, and raising teenagers crushed my ego. Whatever, I moved on to lower hanging fruit and for the past 15+ years, while my fly rods and lungs collected sawdust, and while the bugs in my basement happily ate their way through untold dollars worth of hackle and bucktails, most of my fishing has been focused on building and throwing wooden plugs for large striped bass. That is, except for the short time each year when, as penance, I would dust things off and, to my goldens' disgust, flail away at false albacore or bonito.

But things change. As we get older, in addition to nasty nose hair, we get stupider. It's a side effect I think of wisdom although over exposure to television news and ED drug marketing are probably also factors. Regardless, only stupidity could explain my decision after a 20 year hiatus to go bonefishing again. And so, standing alone in shin deep water on a vast Caicos sand flat unrolling graceful, leisurely, downwind casts with a sweet old Horizon 8wt to a blissfully oblivious boxfish reawakened the forgotten simple joy of just casting a fly rod........... exactly the same way that standing alone in shin deep water on a vast Caicos sand flat as a beautiful bonefish swam by 40 feet upwind in a 20+ kt breeze blissfully oblivious to the mess of line, leader, tailing loop, and fly deposited in the water 1/2 way between us reawakened the forgotten simple fact of how much I suck casting a fly rod. Time to change that,....... I hope. We'll see.
Graeme H

Hello from Cape Cod

Post by Graeme H »

G'day George,

Welcome aboard.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
petevicar

Hello from Cape Cod

Post by petevicar »

Hi George,
I used to do a fair amount of fishing on the Cape and I know quite a few people over there.

Maybe we bumped into each other some time.

I am an Englishman who lives in Germany. I am a good friend of Juro Makai.

It's good to see you on here.

Pete
IANACI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hello from Cape Cod

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi George and welcome to the Board :D

Never fished for stripers apart from once in Nova Scotia but we didn’t catch any.

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”