PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

loops

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

troutman41
Answers: 0

loops

Post by troutman41 »

Bit windy here today but I measured the carry.I measured from where I was standing to the end of the line not including the leader.It was the length of line I could false cast consistently in the air with a good loop.The vertical JB cast is 60 feet the side arm cast was 63 feet but felt like much more effort.Still using the double tapered line 7 weight and practice rod.If I hadn't measured I would have sworn that the side arm carry was way ahead of the vertical carry.That all said I can definitely cast much further with side arm.
Lasse I have watched and been practicing that foundation cast but still can't get pointy loops with it even with short lenght of line.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

loops

Post by Paul Arden »

That's a good length carry Troutman. The 7WT DT might start to feel very heavy for your rod (depending on how stiff the rod is) but learning to increase carry by short increments taught me more about fly casting than possibly anything else. You'll need to start dressing the line with silicone soon I should think!

I think that there are two really important drills for improving style and loop performance. One is carry and the other is accuracy at rings (competition style). http://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/accuracy/

Pointed loops with a vertical plane tend to happen with longer rather than shorter line lengths because the loop has to morph into a point.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
troutman41

loops

Post by troutman41 »

Thanks for that Paul I'll work on that.Have been dressing the fly line tried a few also tried 303 and Armour all.303 may be good for extending the life of the line due to UV protection but is no where near as good for making the line shoot through the rings.I applied the 303 and read that it had to be buffed off after it dried does anybody use it and may be have a different way of applying it i.e giving the line a real good soaking in it.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Armoral tends to dry up. I have a few bottles of shoot laying around without labels. PM me your address and I’ll send you a bottle! Just apply it to the line on the reel and the rod rings will do the rest.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
troutman41

loops

Post by troutman41 »

"The 7WT DT might start to feel very heavy for your rod"
Just been thinking about this and agree I get the impression that the rod is folding not able to stand up to that weight of line.Maybe I should put a five weight line on to prove this what do you think?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Of course!

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

loops

Post by jarmo »

troutman41 wrote:Lasse I have watched and been practicing that foundation cast but still can't get pointy loops with it even with short lenght of line.
I haven’t been obsessed with loop shape, but according to this video a thrust might help. There was an accompanying article in The Loop.

I can’t do any testing for a couple of days, because I got carried away the other day and did maximum carry exercises for two hours nonstop.
Michal Duzynski

loops

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ciao Troutman41
 You asked about loops, lets talk about loops.
 I personaly love loops, love to see them coming off my rod tip. When I fish I like to deliver a fly with a nicest loop possible( but it's just me)
  The video you choose to motivate you and pursiut to achive such a nice loops is PERFECT.
  I love it myself, and the ease that Chris is casting with, is just fantastic.
  Now, let me tell you, I had the same issue few years back, watched so many casters and videos,and my loops did not look like theirs.
Later I realised that they ( my loops) look pointy like on the videos, you just have to look from a different angle.
  Now look at the pictures. the video
( lucky for me) was done from a good angle. The loop looks really awesome, but when I was casting and looking at it from the caster point of view, I wasnt impresed, I thought I could do much better.
  Next, watching the video in a slo mo, I get a nice screen shot, and suprise suprise we have a SEXYLOOP.
  The 2nd pic is an offshoulder back cast- picture taken with a good angle and at good moment, and if this loop is not pointy enough than I have more to learn.

pls zoom a bit to see the loop more detailed
  Try to record your casting from different angles and with good background and you will see that your loops are not as bad as you think.
  Now from a technical point of view:
1) go down to 5wt line( like Paul said) not neccesary, but recomeded
2) Make sure your DBL HAUL is spot on. good lenght of the haul with a good  timing should sharpen your loops
3) try pullback on your forward cast, works miracles, some( Paul) use a forward trust to tighten their loops.
   Go on the field and practice, Wacht Christofer Rowens video before every practice session- good boost, and music is great.
  cheers
mike
Attachments
20170425_190326-800x484.png
IMG_0579.jpg
Michal Duzynski

loops

Post by Michal Duzynski »

...back again
  With my distance casting. I saw this loop on internet and thought- fuck me, what I have to do to make it happen, as from the position I was casting my loops looked nothing like this.
  ....but then I made a video( good angle, good background), pls zoom it to view the loop in more detail.  and it is happening.
2nd pic shows open loop, but as Pual mentioned- loop morph is important( when it narrows from open loop) see last pic.

practice, practice, have fun with it and record your casting

cheers
mike
Attachments
170301130913_ECUeeQ_w1.jpg
20170323_110942.png
20170323_111258.png
Paul Arden
Site Admin

loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Soon Lee sees a few things his own way. When we last met he was applying the 5 Essentials and the SLP literally to every cast. Hopefully now that the IFF have trained examiners they’ll all be singing off the same hymn sheet.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”