PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Stiffness and Tip speed

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by Paul Arden »

I cast Joakim’s rod on the way up through Sweden. I think that’s the Animal we were throwing in Scotland. Or maybe the Animal plus 1! Great people. I’d move to Sweden if it wasn’t so cold (and had Snakehead).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by VGB »

So all of their usual rods were stiffer than the control rods. :pirate:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote:So all of their usual rods were stiffer than the control rods. :pirate:
Yup!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:I cast Joakim’s rod on the way up through Sweden. I think that’s the Animal we were throwing in Scotland. Or maybe the Animal plus 1! Great people. I’d move to Sweden if it wasn’t so cold (and had Snakehead).

Cheers, Paul
If only you could actually remember things, this could be an interesting debate :D HT 4,6,8,10 and 12 and the same line, numbers would be much appreciated :p

Think Joakim was using a 12 for a short while, but that might have been for seatrout. ....

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m far too old to remember things Lasse - I think it was an 11CTS. Wasn’t the study done before the general shift to stiffer rods?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by Merlin »

Hi Vince

The hand path is a long nearly horizontal translation, it includes the slide loading of the rod, and the rotation takes place pretty late. I use a video analyzis performed by Gordy.

The tip path is too much domed and I know where it comes from: my large deflection program, which lacks a suitable discretisation (too few elements). This is because the discetisation is currently tuned for frequencies. I should built another large deflection file with a large number of elements to get something better, focused on deflection. This is less troublesome for light line rods, but for stiff ones it does impact the results. For example I can mimick Matthias' cast tip path quite nicely.

I see people are still speaking of stiffness whislt it is a frequency issue (that comes from the differential equation), but we cannot avoid the natural trend for stiff rods to be faster, even loaded, and in particular when the step is 2 line size.

The graphic I posted gives trends, the order of magnitude for speed is correct, and such results are usable for comparison purposes. They are less usable for any kind of prediction about a specific cast and rod, unless a comparison with an actual cast can be made. It is unfortunately impossible to make such comparison, we do not have any tip path record for a #10 rod for example.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Merlin

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by Merlin »

Hi Bart

Thanks. The topic was covered two years ago, I just had to process existing data, add a few, and make the graphic.

Merlin
VGB

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by VGB »

Hi Daniel

I don’t really get the horizontal translation and tend to see the paths that Dirk mapped some time ago:

https://thelimpcobra.com/tag/spline-mathematics/

I agree that stiffness is the wrong parameter and also think that maximum tip speed is not what we should be considering. Work done on the line may be more appropriate because it also involves distance (or tip path length). When we launch the line we want as much of the mass moving in the direction of the cast as possible and the tip path length gets the line straight and moving in the right direction. There’s also hints of the relationship between rod stiffness and haul timing that I think may be relevant but I haven’t got a handle on it yet.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Merlin

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by Merlin »

Hi Vince

Below is an illustration of hand (rod butt) path for a couple of 170 casts. The scale is in meters.
170 hand path.JPG
170 hand path.JPG (24.01 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
I set the paths to start from the same point, for comparison. Pretty similar, isn't it (apart from the overall length)?

Merlin
Lasse Karlsson

Stiffness and Tip speed

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

How did you measure them Daniel, and which clip are they taken from?

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting Physics”